Daughter has glioma, how can I help?

• 2 replies
  • 23 subscribers

I’m here because my daughter has found from MRI scans that she has glioma and requires surgery in June! Nothing I’ve read gives me much reassurance but I’m no expert, yet! She’s in her early 40s and otherwise fit and healthy. Is there anyone here who can tell me what the surgery entails and various likely outcomes? Many thanks, Daniel 

• Hi Daniel, welcome to the group and really sorry to hear the news abut your daughter. There are different grades of glioma and the grade makes a big difference to the likely prognosis and treatment options. This group deals with glioblastoma which is the most aggressive grade 4 glioma. 

The surgery will depend on the location of the tumour as to whether they can excise it all safely or just "debulk" it. The locaiton also dictates whether she will be awake or asleep during surgery. What happens next again depends on the grade as to whether she would have radio and/or chemotherapy.

If you can find out what type of glioma it is we can probably advise a bit more.

All the best

Chris

Community Champion Badge

• HI Daniel

I'd like to echo Chris' warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis.

As Chris has already said, take this one step at a time as everyone is unique here and each tumour unique in how it impacts a person and how it behaves. My husband was diagnosed with a GBM4 in Sept 2020. He had an awake craniotomy followed by 6 weeks of oral chemo/radiotherapy in combination. He coped really well with the treatment and has defied the doctor's expectations so far. 

I found some generic glioma info on the main website that might help. Here's the link Glioma brain tumour | Macmillan Cancer Support.

For now though, take this one step at a time and focus on what you know and not the what ifs. Stay away from Dr Google - he's a scary guy!  Stay positive here too.

This group is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone about who gets it, someone to listen and someone to hold your hand or offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you both a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm