New on here

• 6 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi, 

It is my mum that has glioblastoma and has been fighting it for 5 and half years now, which is phenomenal considering how awful this cancer is, but she's been diagnosed with another tumour and she's going for chemo again, but she's frail now from all the past treatments. In her mind she's strong, although it's the first time I've seen her wobble. It is so difficult to watch someone go through it and I'm 250 miles away from her, which makes it harder. Just need somewhere to talk where people will understand what it is like. Most people say focus on the positive or you've had her longer than you expected, which is true and is wonderful, but still feels rotten in the same breath. 

Thanks for listening/ reading this x

• Hi 

yes your mum done so well but it doesn’t lessen the pain !! 
    it is so hard I have so much empathy for you !

my partner is two years in x but can walk because of steroids!

tumour is stable for now ! It’s a very lonely world even for the partner and relatives 

soo so hard x

hete if you need to chat x Helen 

• Hi Helen, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is a horrible thing to watch anyone go through and I'm getting married this year and she's desperate to be there to walk me down the aisle, but I don't want to see her put herself through treatments again and have her end of life be rubbish. 

Your partner is doing well considering, and stable is a good thing. My mum doesn't do so well on the steroids, either high as a kite or spending money like it's out of fashion. 

Sam x

• Hi Sam 

yes its deffo quality of life would be so lovely to have you mum walking you  down the aisle !

steroids save your life !! But have terrible side affects! My partner struggles with mental health now ! As he’s had so much taken away from his life ! I feel guilty if I have a few hours off and ride my horse x very herd

Helen x

• HI CheshireCat

a very warm welcome to the group. Your mum must be an incredible lady to live for 5 and a half years with GBM4. 

My husband was diagnosed with GBM4 in Sept2020 and was given 12-15months at the time. He's still with us. Physically he's on great shape (he always was a fitness freak) but mentally he's slipping. He's a bit like someone with dementia. It's so hard to watch him go through this.

This group is a safe welcoming environment as you can see from the posts that have already been shared. There's always someone around here who gets it, someone to listen and when its needed someone to offer that virtual hug.

It’s always good to talk so please remember you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. I've noticed with my other half that he needs something to focus on to keep moving forward so having read your reply to Hele below, I really hope your mum is by your side when your wedding day arrives.

Stay strong. Stay positive. 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• My mum was initially given 12 -14 months, but with successful surgeries and treatment she's still fighting, but physically it is definitely taking its toll on her. 

Thank you for your reply and I hope your partner continues to survive and that mentally he can remain stable xx