Secondary brain cancer/ tumour on the brain

• 2 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi, hi… my dad was diagnosed 4 weeks ago now. He seems to be rapidly deteriorating. Is this normal? Is it the steroids? He’s been on medication 2 weeks now and seems a different person. Not the genuine person I once knew. 

He keeps telling everyone he’s fantastic, he’s  great etc but obvs he really isn’t he’s been given only about 5mths left .

i would like to know what to expect, is there certain criteria that brain tumour patients all go through. Is this normal? His primary cancer is in the lung too. 

I feel so sad for my poor mum living with and looking after him like this.

It was only 4 weeks ago he was driving his car and planting in the garden! All seems soo heart breaking…

love to all

Sarah x

• HI Sarah

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your dad and all that your family are going through. It's cruel and its never easy.

I'm supporting my husband through his journey. He was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour in early Sept 2020. I can only speak from personal experience  here. I noticed a change in my husband's personality for the short while he was on steroids after his surgery. That said it was hard to tell at that time what was the impact of surgery and what was the impact of the medication. I'd certainly raise your concerns with his medical team as it may be the dosage of something needs adjusting. Chat through all your concerns with them.

It appears that every tumour and every person is unique. My husband's tumour has impacted speech and language an understanding but physically he's still uber fit. There are good days and "brain fade" days and no rhyme nor reason as to why. It might be to do with pressure in the brain. fluid levels in the body, level of fatigue, changes in the tumour itself...the list goes on and on. 

Take each day as it comes. This group has been a great source of support to me personally over the last 18 months as has Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community and Family and friends forum - Macmillan Online Community. There's always someone around here who gets it and is there to listen and offer a virtual hug when its needed so please reach out anytime.

It’s always good to talk so do call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers check our Online Information and Support Section

Hope this has been of some help. 

I'm sending you and your mum a huge virtual hug. Stay positive. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you soo much for your kind reply. It certainly Helps to chat with others that are in a similar position as I am beginning to feel kind of on my own.

I will join the groups you’ve suggested.

Thank you 

Sarah xxx