GBM4 and me

• 3 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Greetings to all on here.

I'm 58 and was diagnosed with GBM4 last year. I had no symptoms until I had a seizure in mid April 2021 and it was quickly established that I had a brain tumour. By the end of April I had surgery to remove it (this was very successful so I count myself lucky) and within a few days, the histology report concluded that I had GBM4. My surgeon told me not to Google it but of course I did that as you just have to! Not very nice reading at all and we all know that it's a poor prognosis. Anyway, I have had the full menu  since then - 6 weeks of RT and chemo and then another 6 months of adjuvant chemo (5 days on, 23 off) all of which was tolerable even if the stronger chemo dose at the end of the process, made me feel a bit unwell at times. 

Next week I have a follow up MRI scan and then a consultation with the oncologist. Obviously I'm hoping for a positive outcome but one thing I have learned is not to assume anything. 

I have found it helpful to read the various threads about GBM4 and interesting to see that many contributors are anxious loved ones, not necessarily the patient. You can see that it is very hard for families to know what to do and how to help the person with GBM4, and also that it's not only the patient who might need to talk and seek support. So an online community like this can be a great way of sharing experiences and realising that you're not alone. 

In my experience, a GBM4 diagnosis is quite shocking and hard to come to terms with. Sharing the news with family (I'm married with 3 children all in their 20s) is hard. Nearly 9 months on I'm doing OK and feel pretty upbeat although I know it won't be so easy, if or when the cancer shows itself again. I don't think too much about the long term and I try not to worry about things that I can't control. I focus on things that I can control - spending quality time with my wife (who looks after me so well!) and family; trying to keep fit by running a bit and trading my car (which I'm not allowed to drive) for an electric bike, making short term plans and 'doing stuff'.  

I have had loads of help from Macmillan and I know that if I get really ill, they will support my family to take good decisions about care plans and so on. These are not nice things for me to think about but knowing the family will get good support, really helps. I also find that it helps to count your blessings: it's not nice to contemplate having to leave your family much sooner than you had planned, but I am lucky enough to have got this far in life without serious illness and I have had the privilege of having a long and happy marriage in which time we have raised 3 fantastic kids. I read of people much younger than me (sometimes very young children) getting GBM4 and know that there are always others who haven't had as much time as I have, to enjoy life. Even then, the positivity and determination shown by young GBM patients can be inspiring. 

I don't know if this helps others in any way but it helps me to reflect on my experience and how I have got through it so far. Thanks for reading, and I wish all GBM patients and all their loved ones, the strength to keep going. 

Dave

• Hi Dave

thanks so much for sharing your experience with the group. Love your positivity.

I am supporting my husband with his GBM4 journey and you're right, it is very hard to know how best to help and support him, equally hard to know how to support the kids (ours are 21 and 24) and just as hard to get myself through the day some days.

A positive attitude makes a huge difference. My husband( now 52) has the determination to the point of overly stupid stubbornness! He has always been a fitness freak (he's a marathon runner) but that's keeping him going. He was diagnosed in Sept 2020, had surgery to debulk the tumour, did the 6 weeks RT and chemo and then said no more- he's declined all further treatment, a decision I need to respect. That said, he ran 2350 plus miles last year (the target had been 2021 miles) and this year has his sights set on a PB in the Manchester marathon. 

It's all too easy as the carer to want to smother the person but I feel you have to let folk live the life they want to lead here. Not always easy to let go but its what he wants to do and I have to be led by that. So I guess I'll be waiting at the finish line in Manchester in April with one eye on the clock and another on the road as I watch for him finishing.

Stay strong. Stay positive. 

love n hugs

Wee me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you! 2350 miles? Are you sure you haven't forgotten the decimal point! I'm not in that league but I have decided to run a half marathon which is further than I have run before and if I don't then need bionic knees I'll set another target. Does you husband fundraise as well? I want to do that but don't want to keep asking the same people to dig deep. 

I haven't got to the stage where I feel I want to decline more treatment but I do understand the desire to keep control of the process and to know what is right for you as the patient. 

Thanks again for the encouraging words. 

Dave

• I have no idea how he's done it! He runs 6 days a week minimum but its all he has left of his "old life". You may have seen some of my other posts in the group but his tumour was in Broca's Area of the brain and has damaged his speech and language skills among others. He's a bit like someone with early stage dementia. My biggest worry, apart from him keeling over while out running, is that he forgets the way home. So far he's only got  minorly lost twice. 

Locally he's well-known which is a blessing. 

He has done events for charity in the past but these miles are just for him. 

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm