We are caring for my brother in law at home .. he was diagnosed with Glioblastoma brain tumour in mid January.. He was given 3/6 months..Treatment wouldn’t change the outcome..and he decided not to have biopsy or any other treatment…His decline has been …

• 11 replies
  • 24 subscribers

R was diagnosed in mid January..we thought we would make the most of the months he had left ..make good memories..

But his decline as been rapid .

sorry for the rambling..it’s 4.51 am ..the district nurses came at 4am ..so I am sat here holding his hand ..

R had a seizure at 8pm last night ..lasting for an hour ( he had one last Saturday too)

He has started making a bubbling sound when he breathes ..that’s why I called the nurses out ..

They have given him medication to settle him ..but not anything for the bubbling..she said it was quite mild ..and it will get a lot worst ..like a kettle boiling ..she assured me he’s not in pain …

when R was diagnosed his wish was that he stay at home was us ..No hospital..Hospice or intervention when the time comes ..

So we have been looking after him ..

We have a good palliative care support team.

R is in a bedroom upstairs..he is not in a hospital bed , he has the special mattress and the bed has caps to heighten ..

At the time it was deemed that they couldn’t get a hospital bed upstairs or in the room ..

Having the bed downstairs wasn’t an option..I have grown up children of my own ,with grandchildren who regularly come to stay ..

I didn’t have a separate room downstairs.

But several times now I have been asked .Why we don’t have one ?..is one on order …we can’t nurse him on that bed ! .. It’s not the hospice nurses who visit that say this ..but the district nurses ..

I feel so guilty that I have done wrong ..

but I sit with for hours ..I’ve fed him ..held his hand when he could use the commode , change him between carers coming ,when he is wet ..because I don’t want him laying in it . 
my husband and I love and care for his brother.

Sorry I just needed to get this off my chest x

• Hi Daydreamer 

The way you are looking after your brother in law is admirable. Honouring his wishes to be cared for at home is something you will be so immensely proud of when all is said and done. 

I think it’s natural to constantly question whether you are doing the right thing. It sounds like the hospital bed is something the district nurses would prefer, but ultimately they’ll just have to work with the situation, and this is the way it has to be to be able to give your brother in law the end of life that he chooses. 

I don’t think you will look back one day and wish he had a hospital bed. You really should be so proud of yourselves. 

Keep going xx 

• Thank you for your kind words xx

• Hi Daydreamer

oh my heart breaks for you. You are doing an incredible job in the most difficult situation. There is no perfect path  for this journey. You are doing your best and that is more than enough. There is nothing to feel guilty about at all.

I'm sure he is so very proud of you for taking such good care of him

Please reach out here anytime. We're here for you. You're not alone.

For now  though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of strength. You will get through this.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• You are doing so well caring for him. He is where he wanted to be because he trusts you both. As WeeMe said you won't think about the 'what if' you will just be glad that you both did all you could.

The final period of time is so tough, it is all consuming but let the palliative team help as much as they can and accept any other help you think is appropriate. 

Hold onto each other as well. It's a roller coaster.

Sending hugs.x

• Thank You for replying, 

its good to know someone is listening..that’s a great comfort..

just had a bad night and needed to put into words how I was feeling ..

R temp was up to 39.5 this morning ..rang hospice at home team ..said I was to cool him down with a wet cold flannel ..leave him with just a cotton sheet cover ..managed to get temperature down .

He hasn’t opened his eyes at all today ..breathing quiet heavy ..then he seems to hold  his breath for 20 seconds and starts breathing again…

passing hardly any urine ..but he isn’t drinking..so I guess that’s expected..

I feel the end is near .. I’ve told him it’s ok to go ..don’t be frightened..we love him and we’ve got himHeart️ xx

• Thank you Wee Me ..

It’s good to know we have people like yourself..that are voices are heard ..

xxx

• It does sound like he is in the final stage now. It sounds like he is pain free. I am guessing that he has a syringe driver?

Just both of you be with him. I told my husband that he could go now, that I would be okay and that he could rest. It is one of the hardest things you will do but it is with so much love.

• Hi Daydreamer

omg that seems so familiar. This was exactly my husband’s state 2-3 days before he passed away. There was few seconds of pause between every breath. My daughter and I use to count and it was mostly 20-25 seconds. Keep talking to your  BIL, tell him all the good things he has done. Sending you all a big hug. Take care. It’s not easy. Loads of love 

• He had a syringe driver fitted last Sunday or Monday (sorry days all seem like one )..

He had seizures for 1.1/2 hours last Saturday night ..the first few days he did open his eyes for a couple of minutes..but not at all today Broken heart

Sat with him listening to The lords my shepherd..sung by Stuart Townsend…such beautiful words ..I know he can still hear ..xx

• Have the palliative team increased his anti seizure medication in the pump?

Music is so soothing so keep on playing it and talking to him