Lost my wife on 6th Feb

• 5 replies
  • 23 subscribers

My daughter was diagnosed with Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma 6 years ago.  Thankfully she was cured.
My wife was diagnosed with GBM In September 2023 and died a couple of weeks ago. I am Feeling so sad, so sad.

The help just wasn't there for us.  Surgery was not an option as it was so diffused, Radiotherapy would have had to have been whole brain and would have changed her personality for no real gain.  The 2 x sessions of TMZ chemo didn't touch it.  Macmillan were nowhere, Loros were nowhere (apart from calling me one day asking if I wanted them to play some soothing music down the phone !!!), yet all I see on the TV is please put a pound in our pot and it makes me cross.  In her final day I called district nurse during the night as my wife was in distress but it was 3am in the morning and the nurse was on call so she was more keen to get back to sleep.   We had to wait for the dayshift.  

We were left to deal with this all alone and whilst I am proud that our family gave her 5 star care, she was very sad and very frightened but she faced the end with dignity, bravery and class.  I just hope anyone else going through this terrible disease gets the help they so, so need.

• I'm really sorry to read this Mark. I lost my wife on the 17th but our local hospice team were very supportive and she was able to die at home as was her wish. There does seem to be a bit of a postcode lottery as to the support you get.

It's still early days but are you looking into any bereavement support at all yet? 

Community Champion Badge

• Not yet - I may well need it though.  Taking the kids away soon to reflect.  The last 5 months have been horrifying for us all. 

• Hi Mark

so sorry for your loss. Sadly as Chris says, the medical care and support seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery. It's cruel on all involved.

I lost my husband on 27 October 2023, just over three years after his initial diagnosis. He wanted to die in the local hospice and thankfully we were able to honour that wish. 

Take all the time you need to heal from the past few months. Healing is messy and it takes time. Four months down the line I can honestly say I'm getting there. It's only when everything stops that you recognise just how much the GBM journey has taken out of you.

Be gentle with yourself and the kids. 

sending love and light and hugs to you all

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• So sorry you’ve been through so much on your own.  My husband was diagnosed in May 2023 out of the blue. He collapsed, diagnosed with the tumour then operated on within 3 days. 95% of the tumour was removed but it’s incurable. We have had lovely care from the Oncology teams but have had really bad care when he’s had to go into hospital with various complications.we have been left to deal with everything on our own until this last episode.His lack of care in our local hospital has been horrendous and we have 2 complaints and investigations going on.  We now have continuing health care, carers come in 3 times a day to help with his personal care. He now has a hospital bed in our living room along with so much equipment to help with his mobility. He’s never been ill in his life but now he’s has other health issues that are complications from having the tumour. He doesn’t want to go into the hospice but they are on board in case needed. We now have the “just in case “ medication stored away. It’s so hard coping alone

• So sorry you are having to go through this. It’s such a brutal and unforgiving disease  

when the end comes you will give anything for just one more day so live every day like it’s your last, starting today  I wish you all the hope in the world x