Mobility

• 9 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi all. My husband has GBM4 and his main struggles are around cognition in terms of speaking and understanding. His right side is affected where he experiences numbness down his arm and leg however he can mobilise fine currently. My question is does anyone know whether people always lose their ability to mobilise as the tumour progresses?

Thank you for sharing your experiences, much appreciated. Love to all on this journey xx

• Hi Blue,

I think its always hard to say with these things. From my own experience with my mum, and reading other peoples stories on the forum, there does seem to be a variety of ways the tumour progresses.

With my mum, she had left sided weakness, with foot drop. That worsened drastically however. Her tumour ended up bleeding into itself, causing stroke like symptoms for mum, worsening her left side. She did have a craniotomy to remove the clot in the tumour, which did bring back her left arm ever so slightly, but never to full capacity. 

Prior to her diagnosis, mum was able to mobilise just fine with the left sided weakness, she got around on a crutch and dragging her foot bless her! So I can certainly say that there was gradual deterioration. 

I hope this helps you in some way, any questions just ask!

Take care,

Alex 

• Thank you so much for your response. I'm sorry your mum endured those tough challenges. It does seem very individual in terms of experiences. It's fear of the unknown that frightens me the most. 

• Of course, I completely understand where you are coming from, it’s scary. 

I think you’ve done the right thing by coming on here however, to see how other journeys have unfolded, I found that helped me a lot. 

I wish I could just give you a timeline of events, and say this is exactly how things will unfold. Right now just keep taking things day by day (easier said than done) , and keep doing what you can for your husband. You’re doing amazing. 

Alex x 

• Hi Blue,

I think as Alex says I'm afraid it just depends on so many factors. I've read stories of people totally incapacitated from the beginning due to stroke or similar and others who've been very mobile right up until their last days. 

In my wife's case she was left walking with a stick after her first symptoms but remine quite stable for 18 months. Then about 10 weeks ago her mobility started to worsen very quickly and we're now in the final days with her totally bed ridden. 

I wish I could tell you what's coming. I so wanted someone to tell me. Unfortunately we all end up just having to roll with the punches.

Send you love and a hug,

Chris

Community Champion Badge

• hi blue

my husband was diagnosed in April 22 and had been very active till about sept ‘23. His health slowly declined over the last few months but till Christmas his mobility was pretty much normal. In the Jan he needed support to walk anround but in the last one week he has been almost immobile, confined to bed.  
    conditions vary from patient to patient. There are some who are walking and mobile till the end. 

• Thank you very much for your response and for sharing your experience.

I am sorry your wife is in her final days and I hope she is comfortable.

Yes you're right, whatever others experiences have been, our situation will just unfold with time.

Love and hugs back to you x

• Thank you for your response and for sharing your experience.

I am sorry to hear of your husband's decline and hope he as least comfortable.

Situations really do seem to vary and what will be will be in the end.

Take care x

• HI Blue Blue

as the others have said there are no hard and fast rules here. It all depends on where the tumour is, how it is impacting the person etc. Everyone is unique so every tale is similar but different.

My late husband was diagnosed in Sept 2020 and his initial issues were cognitive (speech and understanding) His eyesight was compromised early in the journey (pre-surgery) and ability to read diminished quickly too. Physically he was incredible! He was a marathon runner and kept running up until Aug 2023. In 2022 he ran two marathons and still competed in local running club events. When he could no longer run, he walked and cycled in our garage. Right up to the end he was cycling. On 21 October he spent 3 hrs on his bike in the garage then went out for the afternoon with a friend. He had a great day considering how poor his health was by then. Something happened overnight (Stroke/seizure) and he was in a bad way by first thing on Sunday. He was admitted to the local hospice on Mon 23rd October but knew very little if anything about it by then and passed away peacefully on 27th.

Sadly with this journey you just need to take each day as it comes and see what route this journey takes you on. It's an emotional rollercoaster ride.

Sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Wow I just cannot believe how your husband kept going like that. That must have taken absolutely sheer mental strength especially on the 'bad' days. Totally amazing.

My husband has been a postman for almost 30 years and did a bit of running also. He was in great health before all this. Taking the dog for a short walk and being able to potter about the house are the little things that keep him going and lift his spirits when I can see some days it's all getting on top of him. I really fear the loss of his mobility and independence and I know it's a reality I may have to face! 

As you sat it's one heck of a rollercoaster and I just want to shout "stop the flipping ride I want to get off"!!!!

Thank you and love and hugs back to you xxx