My poor mum (59 years old)

• 1 reply
  • 25 subscribers

We lost my dad to ILD last year and my mum was diagnosed yesterday with Glioblastoma in her brain and likely her spine too.

My world is falling apart. They have given her months and nor recommending any treatment. She will come home for us to give her palliative care. 

How do I get a wheelchair? Can I get a hospital bed from the NHS? I am not sure how to do this or if they will help. I want a wheelchair that fold so we can tick off some bucket list items. 

Even getting answers to those questions would be so helpful for me.

Chris

• Hi Chrisdl

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis. Life is too cruel at times.

My husband (then 50) was diagnosed GBM4 in Sept 2020 so I can empathise with you here.

With regards to getting support and the aids you need for at home speak to her medical team in the first instance and if they can't help. I'd approach your GP. I'm sure between them they can arrange whatever you need to help you tick of those bucket list items.

I know when my husband was being released we were offered the support of Occupational Health so hopefully you'll be offered something similar as a starting point.

This group is a really safe supportive space so please reach out anytime. There's always someone around to  listen who gets its, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're  not alone here. 

It’s always good to talk so please remember you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now I'm sending you both a huge virtual hug, love and light.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm