Very sleepy

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed a year ago with GMB 4 and prognosis was 12 to 15 months if he had treatment.  He had standard of care, radiotherapy and chemotherapy for six weeks - the tumour was inoperable on the left temporal lobe.  He then had three more treatments at home of Temolozide.  After MRI scan in December the consultant advised against further treatment as could see no value particularly as my husband had a blood clot on his lungs in January this year so was very poorly.

Two weeks ago he started being agitated at night and was prescribed 0.5mg. Lorazepam to be taken at bedtime.  It helped with the agitation but now he sleeps more and more and I don’t know if it’s the Lorazepam or the general progression of the disease.  He can sleep 18 hours a day easily - the prescribing nurse said Lorazepam doesn’t build up in the system  but I’m not sure.  I want him to have a good night’s sleep of course.  

No-one seems to be able to tell you anything about the progression  of this awful disease and I’m struggling.  Thank you for reading this.

• Did the consultant say anything much about the MRI scan results other than no further treatment? My wife had a scan in November when they refused further treatment because he said the rate of growth since her last scan 4 months ago indicated that it really wouldn't provide much benefit i.e. the tumour was just too aggressive. It was at that point we were referred to hospice. 

Before the consultant meeting she was already sleeping a lot like nearly all the time without any meds that would make her drowsy. Then she started to have seizures so we had to give diazepam or midazolam to keep her mildly sedated which of course meant she slept even more. 

As we got nearer the end I was glad when she slept because she was so peaceful then. It's so hard though knowing that their time with you is so limited.

Sending a hug

Chris

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Bella

My husband had left temporal GBM as well and he went thru 6 weeks of chemo , radio followed by chemo for 3 months when they found his tumour was growing. Mid last year he was having difficulty in sleep and he was prescribed promethazine to help him with sleep but after a month we stopped it as it was not available in any pharmacy. But at the same time we also notified his sleep time had increased. From last July to this March, his sleep gradually increased by 1-2 hrs every 2 weeks. So in Nov 23 he was sleeping around 16 hours, in Jan about 19-20 hrs and by end of Feb we had to wake him up for every meal.  
    Having said the above when is his scan? If the doctors see the tumour is growing then his sleep is because of that. 
    I was lost like you late last year when his scan didn’t show much growth but I could clearly see his sleep gradually increasing. 
    As Chris mentioned when they are sleeping, they are at peace. There is no pain which is good. 
    jyo