Radiotherapy without chemotherapy

• 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

I guess I should start with a bit of history - after having a suspected stroke in March, tests showed that Mum had a ‘small spot’ on her brain. Mum is 72 years young and in otherwise good health. 

She was referred to John Radcliffe Hospital where the spot was diagnosed as a low grade glioma. After having another seizure in May, we learned that the tumour had grown and surgery was scheduled. Mum recovered well and came home a couple of days after the op, but at her follow up appointment, we were told the tumour was a glioblastoma. 

As you can imagine, we’re all devastated. But Mum took it all in her stride and was scheduled to start radiotherapy and chemotherapy a couple of weeks later.

Unfortunately, at her radiotherapy mask appointment, they realised Mum had developed hydrocephalus, and she was rushed back to Oxford for surgery to fit a drain. She also has an aggressive surgical site infection that IV antibiotics haven’t been able to beat. She has also developed pulmonary emboli, so it’s been a worrying time. 

Having said all this, Mum’s condition has been stabilised and after 5 weeks at JRH, she’s finally due to come home on Friday. We’ve been told that she will be able to start radiotherapy, but because of the ongoing infection, she won’t be able to have chemotherapy. 

We understand of course that the tumour is incurable, but we’re hopeful that treatment may keep it at bay for a while longer. But with only half the treatment, I don’t know if this is realistic. Does anyone have any experience of how effective radiotherapy is without chemo?

Thanks so much for reading this and I hope you’re all hanging in there. xx

• HI Dani W

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about what your mum and you and your family have been going through. Life can be so cruel.

My husband (then 50) was diagnosed with GBM4 in Sept 2020 so I can empathise with what you are going through. He was able to have both the chemo/radiotherapy in combination so I have no experience to share of radiotherapy used on its own.. I have seen members of this group and Brain cancer forum - Macmillan Online Community comment that radiotherapy alone to target a tumour in the hope of reducing it.

My husband also developed pulmonary emboli post-surgery - scary time indeed. He was prescribed Dalteparin injections to thin the blood and reduce the clots. It did eventually do that but it took months and caused osteoporosis.  due to the prolonged use.

This group is a really safe and supportive space so I am confident that someone will be along with some more support with regards to the radiotherapy point. I didn't want your post going unanswered so thought I'd reach out. Please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around who gets it, someone to listen and someone to offer that virtual hug when its needed.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

sending you and your mum a huge virtual hug.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for responding - I really appreciate it. But I’m so sorry you’re going through this too. It’s like being a member of a club nobody wants to join. xx