Mams recent diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Newbie here.

Hello all.

First of all I'm very pleased to have this forum. 

My mum went into Hospital on Sunday after taking a few fainting spells and horrible stomache pain. On Wednesday we were told that she has gallbladder cancer and that it has spread to her liver. She is 82 with heart failure and just recently had a small heart attack. We got told yesterday that they wouldn't be doing surgery mainly because of her age. It's a shock to say the least for one I'd never heard of gallbladder cancer. Sadly it is terminal. the whole family is in complete shock never mind my poor mum. She is coming home today so we can look after her. I have no idea what expect, I'm scared, worried, anxious and everything else inbetween. I don't want to lose my mum, she is my everything, my world. 

How do you cope? What do you say? How on earth do you prepare? 

Thank you for reading this far and look forward to interacting. 

• Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis. Hearing this sort of news is never easy! My mum was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer earlier this year and it's still a shock to us all. 

I have found the Macmillan help line truly helpful to talk through with them my emotions and how to help my mum. We just take each day as it comes. Some days are amazing and we manage to have a laugh with my mum in little plain. But other days can be really difficult. What ever day you are having, all your emotions are valid! Although it might be hard, enjoy the good days. I hope you and your family all the best. XX 

• Thank you so much for your reply. My mum was very distant tonight, of course she is tired you never sleep well in hospital. She also said she doesn't want to talk to about it. I know this will need to be done eventually. I know there is a lot of support out there and I'm thankful for that. 

We will see, and yes we will take each day as it comes. Maybe on good days we can get her out and get some fresh air and nice cup of tea. 

Thanks again. X