My dear mum

• 2 replies
  • 7 subscribers

My mum of 82 had  had her gallbladder removed as a general surgery end of November last year.

Stage 4 inoperable cancer

Spread to stomach ,stomach lining,lymph nodes and a large tumour in centre of liver.

She has had one round of chemo for extra time but her temp went high and was told if this happens straight to AE.Did that and sh caught covid and now another 10 days on covid ward.we have lost 18 days of what time we have left.

My question is how do I go about getting care for her when and if she comes home?God willing.

We deffiently don't want her to go in the main hospital again.it was horrendous on the old people ward.believe it or not she was better cared for on the covid ward.

Any help or advise on what to do please

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read how much your mum has gone through since her cancer diagnosis last year.

When my dad, who lives on his own, was ready to be discharged from hospital for a non-cancer related problem he wasn't allowed home until a care package was put in place. This was arranged by the hospital after talking to both my dad and the family to see what sort of help he would need.

You might find it helpful to join the family and friends group as this will give you the opportunity to speak directly to other family members who will have been in the same situation as you. I'm sure they'd be willing to tell you how care was arranged for their relative.

When you have a minute it would be great if you could pop something about your mum's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, I found MacMillan's booklet, 'Coming Home from Hospital' really useful, as was my talk with her MacMillan nurse. The hospital applied for Fast Track Funding for Mum to have 4 visits per day from carers and then the assigned District Nurse will come to visit Mum at home as soon as she is out of hospital. She will need 24 hour care and the District Nurse will help us to organise this. I know you need to tell the GP as they will have overall responsibility for care. I suggest you download the booklet I mentioned at the start as it takes you through step-by-step. Good luck and best wishes