Obinutuzumab

• 4 replies
  • 18 subscribers

My husband will be starting chemo soon and wondered if anyone  has had this treatment.  Have waited months following scans and bone marrow results to get to this stage.  He’s a bit apprehensive but eager to start treatment.  Was diagnosed in 2021. Currently on Hydroxycarbamide but cancer is spreading. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and to hear about your husband.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. I don’t have Follicular Lymphoma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a different type of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma…… your husbands FL is the most common type of Low-Grade NHLs….. and like my (rare) CTCL is seen as treatable but at the moment incurable.

I eventually reached Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well…… but as an encouragement I am 8.5 years out from my last treatment, I turned 68 last Nov and am living a great life.

There have been a few group members over the years who have had Obinutuzumab so let’s see if they pick up on your post.

Obinutuzumab is actually not chemotherapy.

Obinutuzumab is a type of targeted therapy drug and on it’s own should not be as challenging as having some of the main Chemotherapy drugs.

You will find some information about the treatment in the link below

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike for your kind words.  I would be interested to hear of anyone who has had this treatment before. 

• Let’s see if any group members who have had the treatment are still looking in.

To widen your support platform you may want to also check out Lymphoma Action.

Lymphoma Action is the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos..... basically all things Lymphoma....... pre, during and post treatment.

They run regular Support Platforms both for patients and caregivers……. I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with others who are walking the journey.

They also have a great Lymphoma Action Buddy Service where people (patients and caregivers) can be linked up with someone who has walked the same treatment journey.

They also have a Lymphoma helpline on 0808 808 5555 where you can talk with someone and get support - open every week day from 10 till 3.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for this. I’ll have a good read of this info.  I feel so much better already about the situation just having a quick glance of it.