R Chop - how may times?

• 19 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Him

I had 6 cycles of r chop in 2018. Unsuccessful. SCT in 2019. Now relapsed. Have just started on 3 cycles of prednisone and rituximab. I was informed that a person can only have 1 course treatment of r chop in their lifetime.

Would this be correct?

• Yeah, but there are many other chemo and car t cells another option.

• I was curious as to the reason why the rchop treatment can not be repeated.

• No real reason but I think that each drug can act differently and our bodies can only take a certain amount of each drug and once it has been used and relapse happens ‘something else’ needs to be used…… although my first Allo SCT did not work I had a second Allo SCT in Oct 2015 but had a completely different conditioning treatment.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Because it is resistance and did not work on non Hodgkin's lymphoma in your case so they can't repeat.x

• II am trying to understand the relationship between steroids and treatment. I have one cycle of 5 day prednisone and 1 rituximab completed. 2 more cycles to go. My understanding is that rituximab attaches to the cd20 protein on the cancer cell.  The immune system 'sees' this marker and neutralises it. 

The prednisone is given to reduce the immune response so it does not react with the 'chemo' and prevent it from working.

If the immune response is reduced does this not also reduce the ability of the body to kill the cancer cells?

• Our immune system is good but not that good. My Haematologist said that in the early progression of my type of low grade NHL my immune system was working overtime fighting/stopping the cancer cells progressing but this in turn opened the back door for other bugs, viruses to develop as my immune system was ‘busy’……. but once the body has a full on attack of cancer cells the immune system is just not able to deal with this hence the introduction of the various treatments….. the SAS you may say…… in the early days we only had the home guard.

Steroids are used for various reasons and one is they are poisonous to lymphocytes (white blood cells from which lymphomas develop)…. so there has to be some negative things done that in the long run make the treatment effective.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I have one more cycle of rituximab. I am to start treatment at the end of August with Lunsumio (mosunetuzumab). I have searched on this site and no reference to this drug is found. Is it unavailable in the UK?

• Where are you  

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• ….. sorry. Yes it is available in the UK.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge