Low Immunity

• 4 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi everyone, I finished a series of rituimab/bendamustine treatment a few months ago with very good results. Previous to treatment I had a really good immune system, could be with my sick friends, grandchildren, come into contact with tummy bugs and none of it touched me. Now I find I am getting everything under the sun. I no sooner recover from one thing and I go down with another. Is there anything I could be doing to boost my immune system? 

• Hi again , sorry to hear that you are catching everything under the sun...... low immunity following these treatments can unfortunately happen and for some it can last for a good period of time.

I am now 6 years 10 months out from my last treatment (Stem Cell Transplant) for my type of Low Grade NHL...... during the first 2+ years post treatment I was 5 times back in hospital (35 days) with Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus, Pneumonia x2, Neutropenic Sepsis x2....... but i would say that my immune system has eventually kicked back in...... to the point that i had covid back in March and did not require the antivirals, I honestly have had worse colds....... but my wife, daughter, husband and granddaughter had a challenging time and months on are still dealing with the covid cough.

How can you help your immune system?......the obvious first step is Infection Prevention...... yes this is so logical but there is some information in this link that may help Preventing infection.

I think that your clinical team will not be that concerned if you are 'only' catching normal daily bugs..... I say 'only' but you have to remember that your immune system has taken as battering so your old health immune response to bugs is not as strong now.

i also catch all the normal bugs brought in by my 4 granddaughters but on the whole my immune system deals with them........ but in the first 2 years..... some of the infections were rather serious especially the Pneumonia and Neutropenic Sepsis..... so lots of IV Antibiotics for days at a time in hospital.

My team did try me with immunoglobulin replacement therapy 'Immunoglobulins’ is another name for antibodies. Antibodies are proteins that your immune system makes in response to infection or vaccination. They help fight or prevent infections by sticking to the surface of germs. We tried the IV Therapy but I was having very bad reactions to it so gave up on that on.

Clinical teams tend to only use Immunoglobulin therapy if a person's neutrophils are continually low opening them up to neutropenia as this would result in more serious infections.

Wishing your immune system a quick recovery.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, it is good to know I'm not alone! 

• Never alone on this journey.

I don't know if you have taken the time to look at Lymphoma Actions Lymphoma Online Support Groups...... I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with other who have walked the journey.

They also have a great Lymphoma Action Buddy Service where people can be linked up with someone who has walked the same treatment journey. They also have a Lymphoma helpline on 0808 808 5555 where Sharon or Nic will be on hand to give you some support - open every week day from 10 till 3.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, I may well do that.