Still confused

• 6 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hello again, I’m trying to understand this cancer and don’t really want to keep asking the CNS nurse. I thought Non Hodgkin Lymphoma was in your Lymph nodes but after reading it can be  be anywhere or have I read that wrong? My husband has enlarged lymph nodes in his groin and I thought it was the lymph nodes that had cancer maybe I’m wrong. Also what are they looking for when they do a bone marrow biopsy, he has that Thursday. We found out last week he has FNHL. 
Thanks xxx

• Hi Sue , yes NHL can turn up anywhere, in my case it presented ON my skin and I was eventually 70% covered in tumours..... and it took over 14 years to show up in my Lymph-nodes and my Bone Marrow (that's what the BMB is checking for)...... I have a different Low Grade and it's completely different from your husbands FL but the basic principle is the same.

This is text from a blog I did on the community a few years back

Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system. The body is made up of cells that need to be replaced as they age or are damaged. This happens through cell division, which is when a cell divides and makes new copies of itself. Normally, cell division is carefully controlled. But sometimes this process can get out of control. Too many cells may be made and a cancer, such as Lymphoma, can develop.

In Lymphoma, our White Blood Cells called Lymphocytes become abnormal, these are the Lymphoma cells. Usually the body’s immune system destroys abnormal cells. But Lymphoma cells are often able to avoid the immune system. This means they can keep dividing and grow out of control. Over time, there are enough Lymphoma cells to form a lump. The most common place for this to happen is in the lymph nodes........

But lymphoma can start growing in other parts of the body. Lymphocytes travel around the body. This means that Lymphoma can spread from where it first started. It can spread through the lymphatic system from lymph nodes in one part of the body to lymph nodes elsewhere. Lymphoma cells can also travel in the bloodstream to organs such as the bone marrow, liver, lungs and skin. The cells may then keep dividing to form a new area of Lymphoma.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks  so I’m wondering now if that’s why he is at this minute having a gastroscope. So much to learn but thanks for the answer. I just can’t help but worry x

Sue Xx
  • It could be, but take a breath. It takes time to build up the jigsaw, but once all the pieces are in place they can turn it round and see the full picture and it’s then a plan will be put in place.

I see Lymphoma as a few rough cancer cells collecting more mate’s and having a party so once treatments starts the party gets broken up and the cells get dispersed and at its ‘basic’ level the cancer will leave his body when he goes to the loo!!!!….. or get roasted using radiotherapy….. remember this is not a solid tumour cancer - this is a fluid cancer.

So it’s important that the treatment used is selected specifically to go round all the body making sure that it picks up all the dispersed party members from every corner of the body!!!!

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• You say it so good, thanks Mike x

Sue Xx
    • An Update on my husband, at the same time of discovering FNHL, stomach cancer was found, the lymphoma is on hold  while my husband has his stomach removed, that happens on the 11th Jan and as of now doing ok in hospital. We’re just hoping the lymphoma will be Ok, he was going to have radiotherapy with an intent to cure it and not sure if that will happen or not now. Both the cancers was found as he has yearly scans as he had kidney cancer, he had his kidney out 4 years ago, all is well there on last scan.Thanks xx
    Sue Xx
  • Hi again Sue  good to hear from you and to get your update.

Its all happening at the moment for you both, I think it’s all about focusing on the biggest need and let’s look for him to get out of hospital and have a good recovery.

As for his radiotherapy being on hold, this will be assessed and most likely can still go ahead once he is fit to have it done.

((Hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge