Choroidal melanoma

• 15 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hello there, well I've just come across this group having had a pretty eventful year so far. I was diagnosed with a choroidal melanoma in my right eye late in 2020 and underwent surgery at the amazing Liverpool hospital at the end of December. I received the plaque radiotherapy after removal of the tumour which stayed in place for a couple of days before the plaque was removed and the eye was filled with silicone oil to support the retina and help the operation site to heal.

I should mention that I have a very strong fear of having my eyes touched and so this diagnosis and the subsequent treatment has meant that I have been living my worst nightmare. I've had to dig very deep to get through this and couldn't have done it without my soul mate who I've been married to for over 40 years. However, the recovery went very smoothly and I adapted to the peculiar double vision which has now righted itself. The biopsy of the tumour wasn't good and revealed that it was an aggressive type of cancer and this has meant that I've been referred to an oncologist. Scans and tests have shown that there is no sign of cancer anywhere else in my body so far. 

The next procedure was at the beginning of May when I returned to Liverpool to have the oil removed and cataract surgery and again this has gone well. However, there was a blow I wasn't expecting when I returned for a check up last week and that is that there are some worrying pigments on the retina which could be another melanoma or some simple microphages which are of no danger. It's been suggested that they have another look in 3 months but my mind is now in turmoil. Because the tumour was on the limit of size to be operable, and the biopsy shows the tumour was aggressive I feel that the odds are stacked against me and I feel that the result is going to be inevitable and I will lose the eye. 

I'm not sure I have the strength to wait until September and feel that maybe I should go ahead without delay and request that I get it over with. I'm terrified at the prospect of losing my eye but there's a 50/50 chance that it could be OK. 

That's where I am at the moment, thanks for taking the time to read my story. 

• that was some shrinkage. if it goes on like that is the cancer gone?.

does the MRI cover your whole body?

• Hello everyone.

I was diagnosed with melanoma last Friday. Due to the size I'm offered PBT or enucleation. I'm only 42 and this has completely been a shock.

I'm so devastated and so SCARED.

I have a very anxious personality and I am terrified of the prospects, the spreading, living in fear, etc.

My mental health is in a terrible state, I can't eat anything, I can't think about anything else, I'm afraid to be alone as I gave suicidal thoughts.

Reached out to NHS 111 over the weekend, hoping to get some psychological support, but I'm in such a deep dark hole that I can't make a decision about what treatment to choose.

Has anyone else experienced such an extreme shock and how did you deal with it? What helped? 

Thank you

• Yes it is a shock but now they have found it things will move quickly. PBT sounds scary but it isn't. The worst part is getting the markers in and even it isn't so bad just uncomfortable rather than painful afterwards. i was able to get o a plane home a few hours after the op but thankfully it was  in COVID shutdown so there was not the same airport queues. mine was done in Liverpool and all the staff were so nice. it was also handy also having the proton beam in almost the same place again all hospital staff very pleasant.

i would try PBT first but i am not a doctor but it seems like the less extreme option. I know Liverpool hospital has a counsellor so i assume the other eye hospitals have too. It might be worth speaking to them.

It will be a journey so just take things as they happen. If you do end up in Clatterbridge for PBT (village hotel)  just "enjoy the break" and if you work don't rush back to work until after you check up - your eyes will  need time to recover and don't do what we had to do and move house between PBT and the 6 week check up!

don't google too much it does not always help and some sites (one in particular)are just depressing

how did i cope -in my case my faith helped me.

keep the site update with your progress.

• Thank you for your reply.

Can I ask how big was the melanoma in your eye before deciding which treatment to go for? 

I think mine is quite large which is against me.

Did your consultant help you make a decision? I feel quite left alone to make such a huge decision. The consultant said there was a hight chance of developing glaucoma in the eye after PBT which is very difficult to treat. 1 in 3 or 4 people get it. Did they give you the same statistics?

How far after your PBT are you? 

Thank you for coming back to me

• Mine was about 5mm deep. 

i was not really given a choice,  in fact they told me return tomorrow and we will put the markers in. I said that i couldn't as i would be back home in NI and if i "stayed" i had no accommodation and no way to get home afterwards as   the boat that   night was the only available booking that week. I had to return a few weeks later. 

yes they mentioned Glaucoma and cataract but gave no stats (I hope i don't get cataract as my Mum has it and even to get a private appt with a consultant is taking two months)

I had the PBT in February last year. The sight in that eye has been affected - if close my good eye it is as though I am constantly looking at my nose. although i say good eye i had always counted my good eye as the one with the melanoma.

I had the biopsy done - depending on which hospital you are with you may or may not be offered this - apparently it is routine through Liverpool but not with Moorfields - this is painless but does produce a wonderful black eye a few days later.

i could also write a book about taxi adventures but hat is another story.