Duodenal adenocarcinoma

• 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi all 

Thank you for letting me join. My brother aged 52 was recently diagnosed with stage 4 duodenal adenocarcinoma. He only started with a raised Virchow node in his neck. Me being a nurse knew it was a sign  something bad was going on. After a long few months he had a  gastroscopy and  the cancer was found. It had spread to lymph nodes and a small lesion on his liver. He started chemo is on his second cycle. He is doing really well , no symptoms from the cancer and none from chemo. He feels really well and positive. He has been told  they cannot . At the moment the hospital are not doing clinicals trials and makes me feel could a bit more be done. Do people think it is worth a second opinion ? 

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your brother has recently been diagnosed with duodenal cancer but it's great that he's doing very well since starting chemotherapy. I'm not a member of this group but I noticed that your post hadn't had any responses.  

I'm not sure when you said that "at the moment the hospital are not doing clinical trials" whether you meant that clinical trials have been stopped or that there aren't any for duodenal cancer. I'm not sure if you're aware that Cancer Research has a searchable database of clinical trials which you could have a look through. I had a quick look but couldn't see any currently which mention duodenal cancer.

If your brother wants to get a second opinion then he might want to have a look at Macmillan's information on the advantages and disadvantages of getting a second opinion. Obviously, with you being a nurse, I don't need to link you to the information on how to get a second opinion if your brother decides that this is what he'd like to do.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your brother's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Do come back and let the group know what your brother decides to do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for replying. I will keep ypu updated