30 yo guy about to start first cycle of R-chop Thursday 1st. Wish me luck.

• 14 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Tumor was removed as it was in my testicle. Pet scan showed no spread. Doing 6 cycles of R-chop. Radiotherapy on my other testicle and another process to prevent any potential spread to the brain or back.

Anyway wish me luck. If you have any suggestions to remain comfortable or remcommend a cool hats please let me know.

• Hi again , although this sounds rather odd it’s good that things are moving and treatment is starting.

When you say ‘cool hats’ are you talking about hats that look cool Sunglasses or the term ‘cold caps’ as cold caps are not used during treatment for blood cancer Thinking

R-CHOP is a very effective treatment, you will have been given lots of information with all the side effects as long as your arm but don’t stress this as often things go rather simply.

These are some useful links for you to have a look at:

Nausea, remember not to suffer in silence when it comes to nausea there are lots of tools available - but your team need to know how you are getting on.

Fatigue may well build up over time so take each day as it comes but at the same time keep some activity going as this does actually help overcome some of the fatigue.

During my 6 cycles of R-EPOCH I was on my chemo for 120 hrs 24/7 at a time and the main issue I had was fatigue but my nurse team told me to keep active so I walked the ward corridors with my chemo stand after every meal and actually did a few miles a day.

Avoiding Infections obviously is very important but you will totally get this during these challenging times.

I would also highlight the importance of drinking lots of water as this will flush out all the toxins released by the chemo and protects your kidneys.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Morning. Yes it's really rare for my case.

I mean cool hats as in fashion to wear as I'll loose my hair or it'll thin out.

My 6 cycles are 3 weeks apart.

Thanks Mike.

• Hi again…. ok Thumbsup so I just rocked out the slap head. I lost ALL my body hair within a week after my first 5 day treatment, woke up with my mouth full of hair so went straight in the shower and shaved the lot off.

However during summer months, indeed in any direct sun it is very important to protect your skin as you are and will for a long time be open to skin problems for a rather long time and for me it’s for life due to the skin treatments I have had (hit my name fur my story) so factor 50 sun team is a must.

I have a selection of baseball caps, desert hats and for the winter some good quality thermal hats.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the advice Mike. I'll do a update post once I have a quite moment. I'm normally playing games on the computer so I don't got out all the time, but I'll take your advice about the sun protection as I want to go for some walks to keep active and provent fatigue.

• Inactivity (although gaming is an activity) and going through chemotherapy is a mixture, that if not controlled, can result in excessive muscle wastage and can then result in a longer then necessary post treatment recovery. It’s much easier to have exercise during the summer than over the winter so no exercise in getting out there Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Just wanted to say good luck.

My husband went through the same, he was diagnosed at the end of 2018 and had the same treatment. He is well with no signs of it coming back and looking forward to his 80th birthday next month. We had fun choosing hats, he might be old but he wasn't ready to become a 'slaphead', he ended up wearing a flat cap all day everyday.

Drink LOTS, take walks whenever you can but make sure there is a convenient loo, bush or trees (can become urgent!!) Loose comfy boxers for radiotherapy. Spend time with friends and family and doing things you enjoy. And a sense of humour helps along the way.

The treatment can make you feel a bit rough at times but it is very effective and it soon fades into a distant memory.

All the best.

• All the best, it looks like cancer has not gone far.You will be fine after all sessions of chemo

• Yes my son who is 22 completed 5 of his RCHOP and has his last one scheduled for juky30! 

the other process is called the intrathecal and my son had 4 as he has severe spinal headaches despite everything we did ! Hydration, caffeine , laying down for 48hrs etc…. Anyways glad that is done ! 

you will do great since you are young  and if u need anything please reach out ! Always happy to help ! You got this!! 

• Hello all this is just a random update of how I'm doing with my treatment and how I'm doing personally. I'm currently going through my 4th R-Chop cycle out of 6. I'm mostly just throwing my thoughts out here really. You don't have to read it all. It's a public vent.

I'll start with treatment first as it's easier to write. I'll say I'm quite lucky that were I get my R-Chop the nurses are all very nice and understanding also I get to see the same ones each time so it's nice to have a little catch up chat. I'm grateful for that.

Because of a small side effect I had during treatment mine has to be administered slowly and gradually sped up so I'm there for most of the day. Lucky they provide lunch. All this makes my treatment day a lot more pleasant.

Though each cycle comes along, just as I feel I have my strength back, I have to have the next cycle. It feels me with dread I'll be feeling the side effects and weaker again. This time it's effecting me more mentally. I'm ready to finish the cycles now and move on, but I know I have to finish my treatment. I can't skip any. I don't want to either. "It is what it is" is what I keep saying to myself.

My side effects are not too bad, but it slowly warns me out as I know I'm not feeling normal and I can't do all the things I would normally do. It's crazy how a few months of feeling wrong can mess with you.

Anyone else worried about the covid spike we're having? I'm double jabbed, but I still feel the need to avoid being around people as much as I can. I think to myself If I get it I have to go to hospital! I mean I'm on the NHS Shield list so it would affect me worse even with 2 jabs right? I'm glad there is talks of a 3rd jab for the vulnerable.  I wear masks in busy areas, public transport, etc, but sometimes I feel like the only one with a mask on.

I have broken my own rules at times, I'm only human after all. I went to my Brother's Wedding and mixed with a lot of people at it. I even went on the dance floor. It was nice to have normality even if it was for a day. I missed it all. Lucky the date was at the end of my cycle so I was most strong.

It's all conflicting to me. The chance to have normality or to protect myself.

Anyway... side effects. Nausea and going to the loo are my main problems. I do have numbish fingers and fatigue, but I'm getting used to that. Nausea from the treatment only lasts a few days, but now my mind is starting to associate nausea with some things I smell. Like trigger points. Strong smells set me off. I feel like my smell has gotten a lot more sensitive.

Haematology said I'll have a mid-review scan. Though they keep saying conflicting things. My first scan came up clear and all the treatment is a mop up, which I'm very relieved about, but the conflicting thing is they want me to have a follow up scan. Well they do and don't. They haven't made it clear to me. I would like the scan just incase anything was missed. Could my treatment trigger cancer cells to reveal themselves and start their destructive nature?

Being a 31 year old dude, before this stupid cancer appeared I was thinking of getting my own place, meet a nice gal and start my own family. Well now I've lost a testical and the cancer treatment has affected my fertility over all. Having children will be difficult. I have banked sperm, but finding a partner who I'll trust and will go through that process with me will be a challenge. It's just been on my mind. I could foster, but ideas like that are too far in the future. I need to get myself right first.

I'm not looking forward to my treatment after R-Chop. 2 more treatments. Chemo for my brain and back and radiotherapy. I just don't like the idea of a needle going into my back will staying 5 days in hospital. I'm dreading it.

Anyway that's my bombshell of a update and vent. If you made it this far congratulations make yourself a nice cuppa haha.

• Hi , a great update and your journey does sound as if it is following a normal-ish even straightforward path and let’s see this to continue and be able to navigate into the future.

Covid like many other respiratory infections/diseases are going to be around for a long time so all we can do is take care and risk assess where we go, what we do and who we spend time with snd not let this define you.

Let’s hope there is a third jab available but the more people who takes up the first jabs the more protection there will be for us all.

A Lymphoma diagnosis can have a significant effect in all areas of life but the main focus at the moment is to get through treatment and out the other side.

Keep on keeping on and do keep posting.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge