HCL - diagnosed 2 months ago

• 6 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi, I have a lot of questions about HCL.

I have HCL and I have been treated with Cladribine and I will be treated with Rituximab in 2 weeks. I have started having some issues in my skin. I have been reading that it can be because of the antibiotics. I have also a pain in my chest (probably my heart) and they are investigating it. Has someone else had this problems after Cladribine? And my last question, how are you doing after been treated? Can you have a normal life?

Thank you Slight smile

• Hi Mary my husband was diagnosed with HCL early Feb. His side effects from cladribine were minimal for about a week, then developed an all over body rash which caused intense itching for a few weeks. His most prominent side effect has been tiredness/fatigue, although in the first few months after clad treatment he seemed to have a surge of energy.

He's now back at work full time and aside of tiredness, on the whole he's doing well. I would say however that you do sometimes have to expect the unexpected. He recently had a flare up of swollen lymph nodes which turned out to be a severe reaction to some new statin tablets. 

I hope everything improves for you. Xx 

• Hi Shapphire_24,

Thank you for your message. I really want to know more about HCL from people in the same situation than me. I have now a rash and I don’t know if it because of the Cladribine or the antibiotics. 

How long took him to go back to work? I hope your husband fully recovers (sorry for my English, is far from perfect)

Thank you xx

• Hi Mary 

The consultants thought the rash was caused from a tablet given to flush the kidneys, which had to be started prior to cladribine treatment. However we're not convinced and felt it was the cladribine that caused the rash. 

My husband unfortunately was in hospital with severe respiratory problems prior to being diagnosed, so he was off work about 5 1/2 months in total X ps your English is fine Smile

• Hello again :)

The doctors gave me a medication before the treatment too but I don’t think it caused my rash. I am asthmatic and I had a lot of respiratory problems the last too years, I know now that it was because of HCL…

I hope your husband makes a full recovery soon and has his energy back.

• Thanks I hope you make a good recovery too, and hope I've answered some of your questions. X

• Thank you, you did! I hope everything goes well for you and your husband.