Travel Insurance

• 3 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations on Travel Insurance?

I have CLL but not having any treatment (watch and wait).

I’m 49 years old and just looking at family holidays next year.

Any suggestions on which insurance companies to get a quote would be much appreciated.

thanks

• A holiday sounds amazing.

But you may experience getting affordable Travel Insurance can be a challenge and at times the price quoted could be higher than the cost of the holiday and some people do find that no Insurance is being offered.

I found it hard to get insurance when I was on Active Monitoring, this was over 10 years back so the understanding of this may have changed within insurance companies.

Once I went into treatment I had to be 2 years in remission from my Lymphoma before I could get any price but these decisions are often all down to cancer types, treatment, prognosis and the resulting risk factor put on by the insurers risk assessment - I am very open to serious infections due to a reduced immune system so this is seen as a high risk factor for insurers.

Comparison sites tend to use the same algorithms so getting a clear price can be difficult and it’s not that unusual to be turned down or told to call the insurers. 

It is actually more effective to call a few insurers directly as this means that you have answered all the questions correctly and in doing this a suitable policy can be offered and price given.

Full disclosure is always advisable as in the event of you developing any issues this can reduce the risk of an insurance companies wriggling out from paying out.

As a Macmillan volunteer I am not allowed to recommend any companies but let’s see if any group member can help out but do also have a look through the Recommended Travel Insurance 2023 in our Travel insurance group as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are.

I do hope you can get cover.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

I have CLL and the travel insurance company I use is Stansted.

Merc.

• The company is staysure.