Diagnosed 6 mths ago with CML

• 2 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi all

I’m new to group and wanted to post some of the side effects I get. I’m on 400mg of Imatinib.

fitstly I’ve had a rash all over but mainly on my upper trunk. Told to take antihistamine and use creams. But it not gone yet.

secondly nausea which comes and goes.

last I’ve now got a weird taste in my mouth (like metal)

does anyone else suffer with these effects?

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike  and I help out around our various blood cancer groups.

I don’t have CML but was diagnosed in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my blood cancer ‘type’ is different I have experienced ‘the’ treatment journey but not necessarily the exact same drug mix.

As to your three questions it’s a yes from me, this is what treatment can do.

When it comes to Nausea, remember not to suffer in silence as there are lots of tools available - but your team need to know how you are getting on so they can try different meds.

The bad taste is indeed horrible, like sucking on an old penny. I found fresh pineapple and melon helped a lot, try freezing small chunks and sucking them also boiled sweets can help - it is trial and error.

The skin one is unfortunate and let’s hope is passes but you may find that your are taking antihistamine and using creams for the period of your treatment.

Lets look to see if any of the CML group members are looking in.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi there, I've been on the same meds as you since March 2020. I haven't suffered with a rash too bad, have it a couple of times but i was lucky and it cleared up on its own. But i do have the nausea, not every day but a few times a week. I tend to take my tablets with my evening meal, so that if I do feel sick afterwards it doesn't adversly affect my day too much.