Terrified

• 28 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed just over a week ago with cervical cancer, had ct and mri, got a meeting on Monday with surgeon and he has requested a pet scan, this has just worried me even more that this has spread, I’m really struggling x

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m sorry you’ve had this diagnosis, and I think we all recognise being in that situation of waiting for all the scans to come through to get a treatment plan-it’s a horrible, scary time.

Getting the petscan just makes sure that your consultant has all the information needed-I only had a Ct and mri as part of my original diagnosis, though I did have one later, but many other ladies do have one at the beginning of the process.

My worry was exactly the same-thinking it had spread, but actually it hadn’t. However, it’s only natural to worry. I’d try to focus on what you know for now rather than than worrying about what might happen. You mentioned an appointment with your surgeon tomorrow-does this mean that for now they are thinking you might be able to have a radical hysterectomy? 

I wasn’t able to have surgery personally as my cancer was stage 2b, so I had to have chemo and radiation. However, there are lots of ladies who have had both kinds of treatment, so there will be advice and support for you in the group.

Please let us know how you get on at your appointment tomorrow, and feel free to ask any questions here.

Sarah xx 

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for ur reply 

I was just told in a call following the scans I have an appointment with a surgeon on Monday and he has requested the pet scan , that’s all I was told x 

• Hi  

It’s good you will find out more at your appointment, although your final treatment plan may not be decided until after the petscan results are available. 

Lots of people, including myself, felt much better when we knew what the plan was going to be and could focus on dealing with that. 

Hope to hear back from you once you’ve had your appointment, if you feel able to update us.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Trace47, I had several MRI scans and a pet scan at the beginning of my journey and also an EUA (Examination Under Anasthetic).  I think it's good that they are being very thorough xx

• This is what my mum said but it sent me into panic, trying to think more positive but it’s so hard x

• Hi so just back from hosp, feeling numb atm, so much to take in

from what I recall it’s stage 1b2,and just on verge for surgery , surgery is option if pet scan to check lymph nodes is ok which hopefully will have very soon, radio n chemo was also mentioned if surgery ruled out x

• Hi Trace47 Thanks for keeping us updated.  That is another milestone crossed and at least you have a clearer picture now.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you re pet scan but I'm sure you'll be ok. xx

• Hi  

Yes, if surgery is not possible, then chemoradiation would be the standard treatment used. Hopefully your petscan will show the lymphnodes are clear, but either way there will be support here for you in the group. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi, so pet scan showed it’s affecting a couple of lymph node’s so they have said no surgery and to do chemo and radio Disappointed hopefully meeting next week to plan, really dont know  how I’m feeling x