Just been diagnosed

• 7 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with cervical cancer. It was a shock as it was thought to be a cervical fibroid. I am waiting for a PET CT scan and then radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Really don't know what to expect so apprehensive. It's at stage 2B but it might be more. Any advice/support gratefully received Purple heart

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

It really is a horrible shock, isn’t it? I wasn’t expecting my diagnosis either, and I can still remember so well sitting in that room being told I had cancer. 

I was stage 2b too at my original diagnosis, so my treatment was also chemoradiation and many of us in the group have been through the same so hopefully we can help support you through this.

I think we are all fearful of the unknown, and can imagine all sorts about what the treatment might be like, but in my experience things are rarely as bad as our minds would have us believe. 

Once the PET Scan is done and the results are through, a final decision will be made about exactly how many sessions of radiotherapy and chemo you will need to undergo, and hopefully treatment will start soon afterwards.

I found the chemo very straightforward (this was Cisplatin, and it was at a low dose to enhance the effectiveness of the radiotherapy.)  I didn’t have any hair loss, and didn’t suffer any effects like nausea or sickness. I found the radiotherapy tougher to go through-mainly because it was every weekday and I got very tired as treatment went on. 

The radiotherapy side effects for me kicked in 3 weeks into the treatment, and I had cystitis and diarrhoea. These were well managed when I told my doctor and I was prescribed various creams and tablets to help. These side effects subsided soon after treatment ended and were not a long term issue.

When you sign the consent forms for treatment, you need to be told all the possible side effects, but it’s important to know that these are the possible side effects which can happen, and you won’t necessarily suffer from all or indeed any of them. Each person reacts differently to the treatment, and some ladies report that they sail through everything with no issues.

It’s very natural to be apprehensive facing this, but the treatment is over a relatively short period of time and can be very successful. 

Please keep in touch, and feel free to ask any questions in the group. Lots of us have been through this and can offer advice on our experiences for you. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Purple24

I just wanted to reach out and say hey. I am in Exactly the same boat as you right now, except I have had my PET CT and waiting for the results of that now. Such a whirlwind isn't it? I hope you are keeping your head up, I've found really good advice on here and read some amazing stories of incredibly strong people x 

• Thank you. That was really helpful x

• Thank you. Yes just want to find out the plan now but staying positive xx

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m really glad you’ve found the group helpful and hope you’ll keep posting as you go through this. We are all here to try and help support each other, and those of us who have been through all of this and come out the other side are always here for you. I hope you get your pet scan results soon and can move ahead.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thank you SaraH21, i truly felt like i was spiralling inside when i first found out. I luckily have a big support network but somehow felt so alone. Then i started reading peoples stories and realised this was normal.   
    I got my PET results and thankfully it was good news and no evidence it’s spread to my lymph nodes, things are starting to get booked in now, which makes me nervous but oddly pleased too, not long and i will be starting treatments xx

• Hi  

It’s always such a relief to get results which show there is no spread, so that’s very good news! As you’ve mentioned treatments and not surgery, I’m presuming you are having chemoradiation, and yes, you will be keen to get on and start. I found it difficult at the beginning, waiting for things to happen-I was very impatient! Let us know how you get on and ask any questions if you need some help.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum