Hello

• 1 reply
  • 28 subscribers

Hello,

my wife was diagnosed in Sep 22.  It came back in Oct 23.  

currently being treated with immuno and chemo.  Lots of complications and side effects including kidneys and thyroid. 

i am finding life very hard and struggling to hold down a job.  We have two teenagers.

i came on here to say hello and connect with others in a similar position

a

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m sorry to hear about your wife-I’ve been through a recurrence myself and know how devastating it is to get that diagnosis again. It must be difficult to have to go through the additional side effects caused by the treatment, but I hope your wife’s team is on top of managing all of that.

I’m not sure I’m aware of anyone else supporting their partner going through treatment for recurrence at the moment to be able to offer you someone to connect with in the same situation. If I could suggest something-it might help to change the title of your post to reflect your situation more fully, and also to update your profile information.

If you’d like to provide details of your wife’s experience to date in your profile-stage of cancer, treatment, current chemo type  and immunotherapy type, it would enable others looking in the group to see what’s brought you here. They can then reach out to you if they have a similar experience to share. If you need any help with updating your profile, just let me know and I’d be happy to help. If you click on my name you can read my profile-it is quite lengthy but it can be as short or as long as you wish. 

I don’t have the relevant experience to share as my recurrence was treated by surgery, but others might be able to pick up on your post if they can read a little bit more information.

I notice that you have joined the carers only forum and that is a good place to speak to other carers who may be dealing with different cancers, but are having to deal with the same emotions and challenges that you are currently facing. 

Life will be extremely hard trying to deal with your wife’s caring needs while trying to maintain your job and having two teenagers. Have you considered calling the Macmillan Support line? The number is in my signature below, and is not just for cancer patients themselves. You could also get advice on other services, for example there are benefits advisors who could assist with information on anything you might be able to claim, and work support advisors and financial guides who you can also access for advice. Crucially too, the Support Line can offer you emotional support and a listening ear. They are lovely, and I have used them myself. 

I hope you are managing to cope in general with all that you are having to deal with, but remember that you don’t have to do this alone, and there is help out there. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm