Diagnosis treatment plan and nerves

• 6 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Morning everyone ,

im new here to this group but so very glad I’ve found you all ! My journey has been a smear in Jan followed by a lletz end of Jan which showed no clear margins , i was called in for an appointment wch was then told its cervical cancer stage 1A adenocaricinoma (can never spell the damn word) anyways went to MDT meeting and called in to say they aren’t happy with margins think it’s a tumour in nex k of womb I’m allowed a hysterectomy ( have 8 children so happy with hysterectomy Laughing) now I need to go for an MRI which for some reason is scaring me more than the cancer diagnosis think I’m generally scared they are going to find something more sisnister I don’t know why because to be fair I have no symptoms at all . I have had a recent ultrasound on my kidney which has come back with a cyst on kidney and I’m scared it’s going to be cancer related . My partner is fantastic and has been super understanding through this little journey but guess I just wanted to talk to people who are and I’ve been going through the same journey , I don’t know if I’m scared or nervous or what  generally feel like my head is cloudy and I’m trying to clear it but can’t hate waiting so not helping Laughing . Don’t really know why I’m writing this to be honest suppose I’m looking for anyone who has had the same staging and treatment and they’ve been ok or even had same staging in the beginning and it’s changed throughout the journey ? I’m trying to get ahead of my own head if you get me sorry to waffle on and on . 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I have been through this cancer twice but I hope you don’t mind me replying as I’ve not had the same stage or treatment. My cancer was too advanced for a hysterectomy at diagnosis so I went through chemoradiation and then surgery at a later date for recurrence. I did have adenocarcinoma though.

It’s a horrible shock to be told you have cancer, but the main thing that is positive is that it has been caught very early and surgery should be sufficient for you. I think we can always imagine the mri showing up something untoward, but that’s our minds having a bit of panic. 

Very early cervical cancer is very likely to be contained in the cervix and highly unlikely to have spread. It is even difficult to see on an mri scan. Hopefully the mri will just confirm what is already known, and just make sure that surgery can go ahead. Try not to worry about it-the scan will more than likely just be a formality. 

In case you haven’t had an mri of your pelvis before, it can be quite noisy, so be prepared for that! Personally I prefer to wear an eye mask as I can get anxious having scans. I try to concentrate on visualising being on the beach or similar, and the radio is helpful played through the headphones. 

Feel free to ask anything you need to in the group-we have lots of experiences of surgery and hopefully you will gain some tips on recovery etc. Hopefully you won’t have long to wait for your operation and you’ll be able to put this all behind you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with stage 1B1 adenocarcinoma. I had an MRI and like you was really scared. I was suspicious of everything so when I was moved even an inch I was thinking ‘have they found something else’ but actually they were just trying to get good pictures! I went on to have a radical hysterectomy and just had my 6 month post op check up and all is well. Nothing ever changed with my staging. 
    We are here if you have any questions or if you just need us to listenx

• Hi sarah ,

thankyou so much for taking the time to reply it’s much appreciated ! Sorry to hear of your journey and thankyou for the advice reference the mri as I’ve never had one before so will be prepared. 

• Hi May

thankyou so much for taking the time to reply it’s much appreciated ! I’m so glad your doing ok now and this has given me hope , I think I just need some time to process everything , I’m the one everyone thinks of as the super strong one the one who they all come to when they are falling apart so i have put a brave face on to those around me but think I’m falling apart silently on the inside . Finding this group has been a godsend as has the cervical cancer facebook support group . 

• Hi  

Absolutely you have cause for hope! But please don’t feel you need to be the strong one. You are entitled to  feel shock at your diagnosis, and inevitable fear about what will happen going forward. It takes time to come to terms with everything and process things.

Can I give you some real hope? I was diagnosed with stage 2b in September 2018, I had a recurrence in April 2019, and I’m still here and well. I’ve done incredibly well, and there’s every  reason to hope that an early stage cancer will be very successfully dealt with. 

Keep chatting in the group and you will find lots of others doing very well. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi

I have been on a very similar journey and now 15 months post surgery.

Being diagnosed with cancer is very scarey and for everyone I know the period before surgery is the worst as your mind plays tricks with you and your emotions are everywhere.. fear.. anxiety.. shock.. you name it and your mind goes there!

In my case all the tests and indeed the surgery were in line with what my Consultant told me initially but its still a nerve wracking time. This is definately the place to air your fears and take off the strong woman mask with no judgement. We have all been there! For me , I feel like being able to talk to the ladies in here and feel understood saved my sanity.

Any questions about surgery and recovery feel free to ask. There is no  such thing as stupid questions just silly answers but I will always do my best to help even if I do give the occasional silly answer.

1. Keep your head up and you will get through it. Just don't be hard on yourself if somee days it doesn't feel like that. 

Mas xx