Overwhelming

• 4 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with stage 2a cervical cancer and start the standard chemo radiation tomorrow. Everyone both in the NHS and my family and friends have been wonderful, but I find it all overwhelming at times. I’m generally a positive person, but I’m really struggling and not good at showing my true feelings. Would love some guidance from others that have gone through this. Thanks Relaxed️ 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

It’s not surprising you find things overwhelming at times-it’s a big deal to get a cancer diagnosis and go through treatment. It sounds like you have a good support network round you which will really help, and being positive is also very helpful. But don’t put pressure on yourself to be positive all the time as it’s not realistic and we all have times where it’s actually impossible. And that’s normal and ok! 

I was diagnosed with stage 2b in September 2018 and did chemoradiation-many of us in the group have done it very successfully. So hold onto that thought!

It is intense treatment because it’s over a fairly short period of time, but we can help with advice and hints on how we dealt with things as they came up. It is very manageable, and you can ask any questions you’d like to here in the group. Sometimes, despite having lovely friends and family, it can help to speak to others who have gone through exactly the same thing and can understand it. 

One of the best pieces of advice I could give you is to take one day at a time and try not to look too far ahead. Don’t anticipate problems-concentrate on what you know for now, and take things one step at a time. Please keep in touch and we’ll do our best to help support you through your treatment.

I hope things go as smoothly as they can for you-it’s daunting getting started when it’s all new and unknown, but every day of treatment you complete is one day closer to finishing!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Louise2222.  I hope your first treatment went ok.  You will feel much better once treatment starts.  The medical team are so lovely and friendly and take very good care of you.  This treatment is very effective and that is what I focused on.  As Sarah says it is an intense treatment but it goes very quickly and you meet some lovely people along the way.  Don't put pressure on yourself to feel positive all the time.  Good luck with the rest of your treatment and tell your team if you need anything at all.  Please keep us updated with how you're getting on xx

• Thanks for the messages, it does indeed help knowing other people have been through this before.

Unfortunately my radiotherapy treatment did not start yesterday as they need to re-do the planning scan and re-asses the positioning so I am now looking at starting treatment next Monday. 

A little down as I had managed to build myself up for getting it all underway, although I totally understand that they have to ensure the radiotherapy is targeted to the right place. 

• Hi  

Oh, it’s such a shame when you’re psyched up to start and it doesn’t happen..I got sent away from my planning scan as my bowel was too full but no-one had warned me in advance to make sure it was clear. Got sent away with suppositories and it was successful on the second attempt. I hope things can go ahead next week for you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm