Just been diagnosed with cervical cancer

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi everyone, it’s been less than a week since I was diagnosed, am 44 married with 1 child. Waiting on scans to find out what stage am at, my head is all over the place, one minute am really angry and the next am in floods of tears, trying to keep it together but feeling like things are spiralling out of my control. Anyone else feel like this?

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had this diagnosis, but rest assured what you are feeling will be very familiar to many of us. The feeling of being out of control is a very common one-especially when we first get a diagnosis and are thrown into a round of appointments, scans and results. We are in this awful limbo of waiting for others to tell us what’s next, and it’s a horrible feeling. 

I can say from my own experience of going through this that things settle and become easier once you have all your results and a plan of action, and I’ve read that many times within this community. Once you know what you’re facing you can start to take back some control, and focus on the next steps of getting through this. 

The staging will determine the treatment plan-whether you are able to have surgery, or will be treated with chemotherapy and/or radiation so I hope you don’t have too long to wait for your scans. Do you know which type of scans you’ll be having? I had a CT and MRI for my staging and plan, but some ladies also have a PET scan. 

Yes, your head will be all over the place as this is new and overwhelming, but it will get better once you have more information. For now, you just have to hang in there and wait…difficult though that is. Cry, get angry, be sad-all of those things are normal emotions on hearing you have cancer.

We have experience in the group of all the different forms of treatment for different stages of cervical cancer so please feel free to ask any questions and we’ll try to help and support you through this. You are very welcome to be with us, and I hope you’ll find it helpful to be here.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Teddies

I think most ladies here will tell you that immediately after diagnosis is the hardest part emotionally. You feel like someone has put your brain into a blender and turned it on as high as it can go.

All I can say is that there is a lot of support here and that you will feel more in control.once you have a treatment plan. Hopefully you will be early stage although being optimistic can sometimes seem beyond you. Just try not to be hard on yourself as it is a very difficult time and you will likely be up and down like a yoyo.

Good luck with the scans. Hopefully you will soon have some answers 

Mas xx