Smear test

• 1 reply
  • 29 subscribers

Hi, 

Yesterday I had my routine smear test, before the test was carried out I explained that for around a year I get really sharp pain deep inside my vagina and on the right side of my pelvis during and after intervourse, I also loose a lot of discharge daily which I forgot to mention. The nurse carried out my smear test and said she could see a large area of  ectropion on my cervix, and she said that because I had explained about the pain I get that she wanted me to be seen by a doctor. I now had a appointment booked for a nurse practitioner in 9 days time. 
Should I be concerned? My understanding is that Extropion is nothing concerning, so I can’t understand why I need to be seen again unless she concrned it could be something else? 
I’m 35, not pregnant or on any contraception (known causes for ectropion - pregnancy and contraceptions)

Thankyou for taking time to read my post, and I appreciate anyone who takes their time to reply. Xx

• Hi  and welcome to our group

I would think you need to be seen again simply because you have told the nurse that you’ve been having pain during and after intercourse and that needs to be investigated. Ectropion in itself is not a concern as such-it’s very common and often seen during a smear test- but would not explain the pain you’re having.

The smear test itself is to test for hpv initially, so it’s not a diagnostic test for other symptoms, and the nurse is just being thorough in referring you to see someone. You’d be able at that appointment to mention the discharge you’ve been having. 

It’s impossible for any of us to say if you should be concerned, or guess what might be going on, but it’s a good idea to get checked further to put your mind at rest and try to discover why you’re having the pain you describe. 

I hope everything goes well at your next appointment and you’ll let us know how you get on.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm