Radiotherapy

• 2 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi everyone So I just turned 69 and had a total Hysterectomy 6 weeks ago. Just been told the cancer had spread and am now got to do radiotherapy next week.

I don't know why but I'm terrified more of the side effects than anything else.

Not sure I want to do this.

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m sure it must have been a shock to find you need radiotherapy after your surgery-no doubt you would have been hoping and assuming the surgery was enough.

You have to be told about all the possible side effects of radiotherapy so that you can give consent to it, but it doesn’t mean that all or indeed any of those side effects would happen to you.

Many of us have had radiotherapy for this cancer, some ladies following a hysterectomy but most of us because our stage was too high for surgery to be possible as a first treatment. We have all come through the other side, some with very little side effects and some with more-we all react differently to treatment.

You say you are not sure if you want to do this, and that would be your choice ultimately as you don’t have to go through any treatment you don’t want to have, but it is being recommended as it would give you the best possible chance of a successful outcome from your cancer. 

Perhaps if you can tell us what terrifies you most about the possible side effects we’ll be able to try and reassure you about the process from our experiences? 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

Please try not to worry too much (easier said than done i know) 

I had a radical hysterectomy in January and 25 sessions of radiotheraphy in May, i too was worried about side effects, however was very reassured by people in this forum.  
    I was worried mostly about side effects resulting in bladder issues as Id just spent 10 wks after my op with a catheter in place (see bio) 

my side effects were more bowel related, just had diarrhea more often but it was manageable using over the counter diarrhea relief tablets Ok hand tone1Ok hand tone1 and also some tiredness but that wasnt too bad and I just made sure I rested a lot more.

Ultimately the choice is yours regarding radiotheraphy, but they have recommended it for a reason and thats to give you the best possible chance of recovery, so please dont rush into a decision based on fear as we are all here to support you and get you through it!

Please keep us updated and ask your radiotheraphy team if you have any niggles not matter how big or small, they always say too ask and they will be there for you and help you.

Sending you all the best for your treatment

xxx