Radical hysterectomy, decision of ovaries

• 5 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hiya all I was diagnosed with stage 1b1 cervical cancer on the 20th January.

After scans they have decided this hasn't changed or spread thankfully and have advised radical hysterectomy, I have the option to keep my ovaries or have them.removed. 

Now this is the decision I'm not sure on, I'm 44 nearly 45 and have only had minor symptoms of menopause ie, increased periods and heavier periods. 

Do I keep my ovaries or have them.removed, my op is booked due to cancellation on the 13th February so not long to think about it. 

I've been looking at the pros and cons of both but I just can't decide. 

Do any of you have any advice u could give me of your experiences etc please. 

Tia xxx

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

Things are moving very quickly for you, which is good, but it doesn’t give you long to get your head round everything and assess your options. 

I don’t have the experience you’re looking for as I was post menopausal at original diagnosis and have had my ovaries removed as part of larger surgery. But hopefully some other pre menopausal ladies in the group who've been in your situation will come along and share their stories, 

I wanted to welcome you to the group in any case, and my reply will boost your question to the top of the discussion list again. I hope you can connect with others faced with the same decision, and wish you well with your upcoming surgery.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thankyou for your reply. Xxx 

• Hi Tubsar,

I'm sorry I only read this now. Have you decided what to do?

I am 45 and I had a radical hysterectomy in September. Pre op I was told that I would keep my ovaries which was recommended to avoid taking medication (Hormones) for years. In the end though, they decided to remove my ovaries during the operation as I had a suspicious lymph node ( which turned out to be positive) so I woke up without my ovaries. I am on progesterone pills now and doing fine, they have said I'll need to take them til I am 50.

Hope this helps...

Lulabell

• Hello,

I'm very interested in your post, I had cervical cancer in 2014 (clear smears since) and endometrial hyperplasia with atypia in 2017.  Mirena coil fitted. I was blessed to be able to have fertility treatment in 2019 which resulted in pregnancy. Next step hysterectomy, but like you I'm about to turn 40. Not sure what to do about ovaries. 

I was advised they could remove them after menopause but still very unsure what to do.

• Hello,

I'm very interested in your post, I had cervical cancer in 2014 (clear smears since) and endometrial hyperplasia with atypia in 2017.  Mirena coil fitted. I was blessed to be able to have fertility treatment in 2019 which resulted in pregnancy. Next step hysterectomy, but like you I'm about to turn 40. Not sure what to do about ovaries. 

I was advised they could remove them after menopause but still very unsure what to do