Bracktherapy cervical cancer

• 25 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi everyone, anyone going through brackytherapy at the moment? Ive had my first two treatment next two are tomorrow, my insides still feel raw after first one and going to wee is worst pain ever, anyone else going through same ? Was diagnosed in October with 2b cervical cancer. Thanks

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I was also diagnosed with stage 2b but unfortunately wasn’t able to have the brachytherapy so can’t share any experience on that. However, lots of the ladies in the group have been through this so I hope they’ll be along to post. How did you cope getting through the chemoradiation? You’re nearly at the finish line now! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi sarah, the chemo made me terribly ill , ended up only having 2 sessions, was extremely worried that i wasnt getting all treatment and it wouldn't work, but im told radiotherapy is main treatment, mostly tired and nausea but im nearly there, must say its been a struggle but i overcame it. Thanks for reply, hope your doing well x

• Gosh, I’m sorry to hear you were so unwell. I only managed 4 chemo sessions because of my blood count, but was reassured that this was ok and it’s quite common not to be able to tolerate all the sessions. Radiotherapy is the main treatment at our stage of this cancer, and I had extra doses when I couldn’t have the brachytherapy. 

I did find the fatigue really tough, but my side effects did improve pretty quickly after treatment ended. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi sarah, glad to hear the side effects do eventually go away, especially the nausea its most horrible feeling ever. Ive ended up with continuous tinitus from first chemo and from 3rd week of radio sciatica. Well feels like sciatica. Im hoping these also go away . Just need get through my last two sessions of bracky and one more radio an thats me x

• Oh, that does sound horrible for you. Did you tell your team? You haven’t got long to go, and hopefully things will improve. My main thing was fatigue, plus diarrhoea and cystitis from radiotherapy. I didn’t suffer from nausea at all as I recall, nor sciatica. 

You should have had anti sickness meds prescribed, but if they are not working you can be given something else to take. There are quite a few different types of medicines and sometimes one type might not suit. 

Hang in there and take care

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi,

just come across your post! You sound very similar to me. I only managed 3 out of 5 chemo, I have felt so ill. Just had pre op for Brachytherapy which I will have on Wednesday… I am so anxious and scared xx

hope you are feeling better xx

• Hi Sarah, yes got different anti sickness meds , though they haven't helped so far, nearly at the end now so all good. Thanks again for replys x

• Hi she11, yes i felt horrendous as you with chemo, i was petrified about bracky too, to the extent I wasn't having it, had three now and i must say it wasnt as bad as i thought, im bk in Thursday for another one. Top tip is take all the meds, and when getting rods out make sure you use gas n air, works a treat, my first one i just breathed through it, never again... Had gas n air since then an honestly you dont feel a thing. Good luck x

• Aww thank you for replying. Good luck for your last one! I have one overnight stay this Wednesday then the same again next Wednesday! Think it’s the unknown that’s making me feel worse xx

• Yes definitely is the unknown that makes it worse, yeah mine were overnights too, but you will be fine, just take the meds, n then gas n air when rods are takin out.. worst thing is the not being able to move, you get bit numb but nurses help you x