How to tell children

• 1 reply
  • 29 subscribers

Morning All,

Its been a crazy few months, from finding out I had an abnormal smear to having two colpscopy, one with a nurse and a second with a consultant after my first biopsy showed early cancer to then having an MRI scan and finally yesterday I received the update that I would be having a radical hysterectomy.

My mind is all over the place as I'd not really been thinking about it and sort of pretending it wasn't real, so that I could get through Christmas.

Yesterday though brought it all to reality,  im struggling to keep it together and appear normal as my boys still don't know anything and I've no idea how to break it to them.  They are 10 and 6 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

It’s difficult when everything happens so quickly like this and you’re thrown into a whirlwind of tests and results, but the good thing is that the cancer has been caught early, and you can have surgery although I’m sure it doesn’t seem like a good thing at the moment! 

Your children are very young, so I appreciate it can be difficult to know how to approach this with them. Macmillan have produced a guide about this which might help you, and if you click on this link I have made you will be able to have a read through

Talking to Children

With early stage cervical cancer, it is hoped that the radical hysterectomy will be the only treatment required and so from this point of view it might be easier to explain that mummy has a poorly tummy and the doctors are going to make it better. You know your children best, and how much they could realistically understand and deal with, and it is a very personal decision as to how much you tell them. You will need to take it easy for a few weeks after the operation, so they would need to be aware that you will need to rest and might not be able to do as much as usual.

I hope things go well with your surgery, and please let us know how you get on. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm