I had a smear in Nov 21. In Jan, I got a letter to say I needed a colposcopy as I had HPV & CIN 3. Had colposcopy appointment 4 days later. I'd read that they might do treatment at this appointment if necessary. Turned out it was, so she did the LLETZ procedure.
Got result letter in Feb which said they'd not taken enough abnormal tissue so they needed to do it again. Had second colposcopy/LLETZ in March. Got result from this to say it was all clear and to have another smear in 6 months.
Had my smear in Sept, got the result on Saturday, it's come back HPV positive again and they found low grade dyskaryosis (associated with cin 1) I received my appointment letter this morning for next colposcopy on 24th Nov.
As they've already tested for abnormal cells, is it likely I'll be having a 3rd LLETZ procedure at this appointment? It's such a worry, mind working overtime and the waiting is awful. Thank you for reading.
Hi Goindoolally and welcome to the group!
This most recent result is a better one for you than your previous ones, but I appreciate it must make you anxious, having already had 2 procedures. CIN1 is not usually treated, as it can regress on its own and go away if your immune system can get on top of the hpv virus. There is a limit to how many LLETZ procedures you can have, but I would say if it’s only CIN1 it’s highly unlikely they would want to do another one at this point. They may want to take punch biopsies just to confirm it’s only CIN1, and if it is, just have you back for another check in a year, maybe 6 months.
I hope your colposcopy goes well, and you don’t need anything else, but also that you’ll let us know how you get on. I love your name by the way!
Hi Sarah, thank you for your reply & the explanation. Due to meds for crohn's disease my immunity is compromised so that's an extra worry right now. I'm currently waiting to hear back from my IBD consultant as to whether I can stop those meds. Lord knows what that'll do to the Crohn's though. Glad you like my name which, I may add, has never been so apt than right now
I’m not surprised you chose that name! I’m sorry to hear you have Crohn’s-that’s just another thing in the mix to be a concern, and may impact on your body’s ability to suppress the virus which is why you’re still testing positive for hpv. I’m not sure why you might have to stop your meds for the Crohns though? Would that have an impact on suppressing the virus in any way? Sorry, I don’t know enough about that aspect of things.
It's something my IBD consultant is considering as I'm deemed to be in remission and the meds lower my immunity so if I can stop them, I may then be able to fight the HPV.
He requested up to date blood & stool samples and if he feels it's OK to stop he was going to speak with the gynaecologist to ask if it'd help before he made a decision.
I've got a telephone appointment with him/his team on Wed so I'll also give them this new info.
Ah, I get you. It’s good that your IBD consultant will liaise with gynaecology before making a decision on stopping the meds. Don’t want to sort one thing and make something else worse! Hope things go ok for you.