New to all this!

• 2 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi everyone I'm Donna. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2019 and went through the usual chemo/radio. Unfortunately it has now spread to my lungs so I'm now in the incurable camp!!! Luckily my last scan showed that the tumours appear to be slow growing at the moment so no need for more chemo at the moment, hurrah!! I'm new to this but I have really struggled with my feelings for so long that I thought I'd give it a go. No one really gets it unless they're in it do they?

• Hi and welcome to the Online Community. It's good to read that your tumours are slow growing so no need for more chemo at the moment.

I've a different type of cancer but I can agree my emotions are only just buried under the surface. My 3 sessions of Brachytherapy supposedly have zapped any escapees but I've a few unexplained things going on and when I try to tell my hubby how scared I am he looks at me all blank and says I'm ok! I'm imagining it!

That's the great benefit of joining these forums as you are chatting to others who understand your deep-seated fears and yes, they do get it! I'm going to suggest that you join another group Living with incurable cancer there you'll be able to discuss with others your feelings and get support when you need it.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep writing the same thing over and over. You can amend or update it at any time. 

Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi, Donna.

I don't come here often, hence the delay in replying to your post but if you look through my profile, you'll see I STARTED in the situation you're now in and that's when I read MummyB's posts, which definitely gave me hope. Two years on, my latest scan was clear. Obviously, I'm still only looking no further than the very near future, but a weight has definitely been lifted. So I have my fingers crossed for you. For me, looking after my mental health was the main focus. And walking. Lots of walking to keep my sanity and to keep physically as well as possible to undergo all the treatments and recover from the op. I left the rest to the doctors. But I have to say that, for me, coming out the other side of the diagnosis of "incurable" definitely involved staring death squarely in the face. We're all different so it's about finding your own way through. I had A LOT of support - partner, family, friends as well as Maggie's and Macmillan. Each played a different role but each has been key to keeping me afloat. It involved telling them what I needed and what was harmful.

With very best wishes

CLG03...