Just found out I have cervical cancer

• 8 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi 

2 days ago my world fell apart. I was told I have cervical cancer. I don’t know right now what stage I am (we think early though). Had MRI last night and that was scary and trying not to think of why I was in there was so hard. Waiting for a CT scan appointment at moment and then next week hopefully get to know what’s next. 
im still in shock and wondering why me? What have I done to get this? 
i worrying about everyone around me more than myself. I’m a mum of 2 birth children (22 & 18) and 3 step children (23,18,18) and a partner who I’ve only just got back with due to the beginning of my journey and him knowing something was wrong with me. He has been though my past nightmares and been my rock and I’m so grateful for him holding my hand. I’m worried about him and our children with all this. They all seem ok with it and just want me to be ok and to stop worrying about them but that’s me. I’m a professional carer and so care too much for everyone and am known not to look after myself or let others help me but guess now I need to stop and let others treat me like I do my lovely clients. 
im worried about work and how they will be as I don’t feel very supported by them normally. But guess my future is in my control as much as I can be. 

•  Hi and welcome to the group. I agree the day you hear those dreaded words your world does turn upside down but gradually you come to terms with it. It was roughly this time last year my journey started and now it's a distant memory.

I've a different cancer to you and my diagnosis came totally out of the blue - no-one in biological family had ever had cancer so yes I did say "Why me? - this happens to other people!" 

The great thing is you have the firm support of your partner and when the ladies here come along to answer you'll have their support as well. And yes, it is time for you to let those around you pamper you. 

Strangely a nurse in my group found she had minimal support from her colleagues during and after her treatment. It might be a good idea to have a word with your line manager or HR team.

Sending you good wishes, B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you for your reply 

• Hi, I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis, the c word is the scariest to hear and the never ending waiting of results/scans/biopsy and treatment is the worst. I’m still waiting for results from  lletz procedure as I was found to have HPV and severe dyskaryosis  on my last smear. That  was about 2 weeks ago so not expecting news anytime soon. 

But I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, I had a mastectomy, radiotherapy and hormone therapy for the next 5 years which has put me through the menopause at 34, it’s no picnic but I’m alive and well. My last scan in December showed no signs of the disease. It was a scary time but I found forums useful when I was at my lowest. 

I was worried about work but they were fantastic, you may be surprised. Cancer is protected under the discrimination act therefore they should make reasonable adjustments for you definitely seek advice from the Macmillan nurses and know your rights as an employee. I found being up front and honest the best policy as they really supported me through treatment. 

you seem to have a good support network and they really will be your rock, you’ll have times that are better than others. For the times your low really use that support network and don’t worry about them, they’ll have each other to lean on for support. Best of luck with your up and coming scans. I hope your receive some positive news xx

• Hello Peace. I was diagnosed around 5 wks ago and my world just fell in.  Fear dread panic tears loneliness ( I live alone)

I'm getting a scan on Thurs and hopefully 6 wks of chemo radiation will follow soon after.   I came online couple of days after my diagnosis as I was so lost and scared.  The ladies on this site have helped me emotionally a lot.  They've been through similar.  I was advised once my treatment was discussed and starts I would feel better.  They were right.   Your in the no man's land just now which allows your mind to run riot.  I know mines did.   Just carry on and try not to worry too much.  You will get your treatment programme and get under way to getting better.   We are here for each other.  

• Hi 

I’m having a racial hysterectomy on 6/8/21 and scared so much about it but know it’s what’s best for me and after fingers crossed I will not need more treatment. I’ve been up and down with my moods and having to self isolate alone hasn’t helped me as I’m feel so alone. 14 days alone to think about it all them up to 4 days if not more alone in hospital and then 14 days after again self isolating before I can see or go out into the world again. 
    I hope you are doing good 

• Hi peace  it is a lonely time when you live alone   try to occupy yourself reading walking music. Etc. It won't be long till your op.  Then you will be on the mend.   Treat yourself.  You will be fine.  

• Hi. I was diagnosed with early stage cervical cancer 3 years ago. Stage 1b1. Picked up at a routine smear test. Hysterectomy including both ovaries but no further treatment necessary. Here if you need to ask any questions along the way. Good luck with your op tomorrow. Take a cushion/pillow to sit on for the drive home post op and get some peppermint tea or peppermint drops to add to water - this really helped me with the gas immediately post op. The trapped gas can get quite painful and you feel it in your shoulder too. xx

• Hi.

Its so scary hearing the c word.

I had a abnormal smear back in May and had to have treatment which was sent for biopsy I got called back in by consultant to tell me the cell was cancer so had to have leep done which as now left me at pre-cancerous cin2 and I'm back in for November..

I went to all these on my own I sat there like the whole world was spinning around me and not taking it all in till after.

I have to be monitored closely as I'm classed as high risk.

Thankyou for reading x