New here

• 26 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi I’m leanne I had stage 2b cervical cancer in 2023 completed all treatment all scans since have been clear but now I’m getting pelvic/low back pain also sometimes pain down my left leg and pain in my left hip I’m really worried, has anyone had this a year after treatment and it been ok? Also when I go for a bowel movement I get bad pain after and after sex but this has only just started happening xx 

• Hi again  

I’m glad you’ve found your way here and made your post. I would reiterate the advice I gave to you earlier, especially since you’ve also now mentioned pain after sex and bowel movements. Please phone your CNS and try to get an appointment to be seen and checked. I know you have a scan booked for October, but I’d encourage you to ask for this to brought forward if possible due to all of your symptoms. 

My cancer was also stage 2b, but I did have a recurrence 9 months after treatment ended, so it is unfortunately a possibility. But that’s all it is at the moment-a possibility which it’s important you get checked. 

Many ladies in the group have had the same treatment as you, both for stage 2 and stage 3 so I hope some will come along and share their experiences with you.

Sarah  xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I would really love for people to share their experiences with me who’s had the same issues I’m experiencing now because I’m worried sick xx

• I hope others will come and share experiences, but I’ve seen often over the years that ladies who have successfully gone through treatment without any lasting issues tend not to stay here and post.

Sometimes after cancer and treatment, people don’t want to stay around forums which remind them of what they’ve been through, they want to move on,  and those who do post are like yourself-needing support. 

Hopefully there will be ladies reading this who might identify with the symptoms you’ve been having. Although I was stage 2b, and did have a recurrence, I had no symptoms so didn’t have the pain or bowel issues you’ve been having.

Sarah. xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• What treatment did you have second time around xx 

• I had a total pelvic exenteration-if you click on my name you can read my story. I was able to have this surgery only because my cancer had not spread out of my pelvis. I could have had chemo, but I wanted to give myself the best possible chance of a good outcome, so for me I didn’t consider chemo as an option for me.  

It can be difficult to read an outcome like mine as it can seem very drastic, but I’ve never regretted my surgery. However I wouldn’t want you to think this might be your outcome as you don’t know what your situation will be yet.

Sarah.  

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• total pelvic exenteration Sounds scary I just read about it, why didn’t you just have chemo? Does that not work? X

• I chose the surgery because it gave a chance (50/50) of a cure. Chemo for me, in my situation, would have been palliative-ie to extend my life if it worked, but not with a view to being a cure. 

I need to stress though, that I am speaking about my own personal experience and what my options were at the time. Everyone’s story is different and unique to them. I personally wanted a chance, even with not great odds, of a cure- not just potentially getting longer time with chemo. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Omg that’s really scared me I really hope I don’t ever have to face that decision, your a brave lady xx 

• I’m sorry this has scared you…but if someone asks me a question about my treatment, I need to be honest. 

I always hope others don’t have to face the same decision as I had to, but I know many others who have had to. It is scary, there’s no doubt about that because it is a huge surgery, but no-one knows how they will react if it becomes an option. When I first heard the words, not long after my treatment ended, I immediately said I would never do it. Some months later, I was practically begging for it. 

I believed I was very lucky to be offered it, as many can’t be considered for it at all if their cancer has spread. 

However, you are a long way from this scenario-you have some symptoms which need to be investigated, so try and concentrate on the now, not something in the future that might never happen. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thankyou so much for your support xx