Coping with Brachytherapy

• 7 replies
  • 26 subscribers

I was diagnosed with type 3c1 cervical cancer in mid March, Adenosquamous carcinoma.

I have had 6 weeks of weekly Carbo-Taxol chemotherapy followed by 25 sessions of radiotherapy with 5 concurrent Cisplatin chemotherapy treatments

i am now in hospital having had the first of four brachytherapy sessions. its not easy, as I expected, but i'm really suffering with lower back pain from lying flat. My pain management isn't touching it and turning only gives enough relief to fall asleep for half an hour or so.

my recent MRI and internal (during insertion under general anesthetic) have given very promising results and I will continue with the treatment somehow but I wondered if anyone had any advise or suggestions.

Thanks Sarah xx

• Hi and welcome to the group.

I’m sorry I wasn’t around earlier when you posted but I’m currently on holiday. I’m hoping that one of the other ladies will come along and post as I wasn’t able to have brachytherapy myself and so don’t have any experience of it. We do have a number of stage 3 ladies who have been through this, so hopefully one of them will post their experiences for you. Other ladies at stage 2 have also completed it. 

The group does seem to be fairly quiet right now, but hope you’ll hear back soon. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah JG.  I am the same stage as you and completed my treatment in early March.  I had three brachytherapy but they were all done on an outpatient basis so I did not stay in overnight, just had one brachytherapy treatment a week for three weeks.  I therefore don't have the same experience as you.  Are you having all four sessions during one stay in hospital?  I can imagine that would be very uncomfortable, trying to lie still between treatments.  I can only think that in a similar position, I would concentrate on all the good that it's doing and the promising results you've had so far.  It's not easy and maybe you could try talking to your team about your discomfort and see if they can tweak your medication.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.  Stay with it xxx

• Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated SX

• Hi Snobird

Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated. Last night was much better with regards to the back and I think it was SO bad the night before because I had been given a vast amount of post op drugs to ease the pain and my Liver was having a bit of a struggle to process it all, I did have an issue with my catheter in the night but that was eventually sorted and I managed a short but solid sleep. Fingers crossed I'm gong home this afternoon. Yes I've had all 4 sessions in one visit, one on Wednesday, two yesterday and the final one today. The laying on my back has been difficult and when I do sleep I dream of walking about and going to the loo or I dream of eating something other than dry toast or crackers!! My whole treatment has been fast and furious but fingers crossed it comes to an end today an recovery can begin.

I do hope you're recovery is processing well and thank you again for taking the time to contact me and for your kind words of encouragement.

Love Sx

• Hi Snowbird, I too had 4 sessions of brachytherapy but over two weeks and I know how uncomfortable it is. I chose to have a spinal anaesthetic ( first time ever), which gave me a few hours before the pain kicked in.  The staff were wonderful and the cocktail of pain medication allowed me to have a reasonable sleep. But it is not a pleasant experience and it's onwards and upwards for you now! Take care of yourself. 

• Hi Marymac.... I think I was very lucky in that I also went for the spinal block (also first time ever), and it was timed so ideally that the anaesthetic was still in place when the rods were removed so I never felt a thing then and after reading some experiences, that is not always the case.  But you are right - the staff are fantastic.  I wish you good recovery and excellent results xxx

• Hi Sarah JG,  Yes your treatment is all finished finally.  It can be a bit daunting after such intense medical treatment to suddenly be out there on your own again but your nurse is still there anytime for you to call.  Concentrate on getting your strength and health back as well as you can.  It will only take a short while for bladder and bowel issues resolve themselves although my bowels are not as they were before even now!  My apetite I think took the longest to return to normal, maybe about three weeks to a month.  Congratulations on coming through it all and completing your treatment and I wish you all the best.  Rest and relax now for a while xxx