Spread to lymph nodes

• 3 replies
  • 22 subscribers

I had a follow up appointment with my oncologist today. Recent MRI and PET scans have shown that I have three affected lymph nodes following the Chemo and radiotherapy treatment I had last December/January. Unfortunately they can't be treated with radiotherapy or surgically removed, so I will be starting a course of six chemotherapy sessions, one every three weeks. I'm quite scared because I don't really know what will happen if I can't tolerate the chemo since I only had three of the five sessions in my previous treatment because of its affects on my kidneys. This time round I will be treated with Paclitaxel and Carboplatin. Does anyone have experience of these?

• Hi Marymac

I am sorry to read your news, it must have been very hard for you to process this and I totally understand your concerns. 

I have just completed 6x carbo/paclitaxle sessions for the second time (first in 2021) last week for re-occurrence. My sessions were 3 weekly. The first time I 6 sessions weekly of it (however should have been 8 but due to low white cells 2 were cancelled) 

the process for myself this time was different with it being 3 weekly and the dosage was higher so I have suffered side effects however that is not to say you will. I also had a targeted therapy called bevacizumab. 

the targeted therapy was always given first followed by paclitaxle then carboplatin so it was a long day (9-5ish) however as time went on they could infuse quicker which shortened the process slightly. 

Bloods were done 2 days in advance and also a urine sample on the day of treatment which was checking for protein however I believe that is due to the bevacizumab not the chemos. 

I have been offered to lower dosages by my oncologist due to side affects so that could perhaps be an option for you if need be however it is one of those things you need to wait and see. 

Is there anything questions that you have in specific that I can help with at all? 

sending positive vibes 

Jen 

1. Thanks so much for your response, Jen. I'm still processing the news. Today I got my appointment letter and treatment will start on 12 August. It's odd, but apart from a sore back from insufficiency fractures resulting from radiotherapy I actually feel well. I'm also lucky to have really supportive family and friends. I wish you  the best luck in the world x
  • Hi 

I don’t have the experience you’re looking for, but just wanted to say hello! I’m so glad Jen has popped in to tell you her experiences. 

Wishing you all the best with your treatment, and you’ve not got long to wait till you start. Hopefully the side effects will not to be too much, but your team will be watching you closely and monitoring dosage, especially if you’ve had an issue with a previous platinum based chemo-I only managed 4 out of 5 of my doses of Cisplatin and it still caused a pulmonary embolism!

Please keep in touch and let us know how you’re doing. It’s useful to add some information to your profile so that the other ladies can see where you’re at. If you click on your own name you can update this, and by clicking on others’ name you can see what brought us here.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm