Eco flussimetria

• 5 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I don't know if you remember but I am Lulabell, I'm British but I live in Italy and I have recently been diagnosed with cervical cancer. I am still in the process of doing all the tests to stage the cancer and decide on treatment.

On Thursday I had the eco flussimetria, which I remember Sarah said is something you don't do in the UK. Basically it was an internal doppler scan both 2D and 3D. The radiographer showed me all my internal organs on a screen, showing that my bladder, womb, ovaries all look fine. When she went to the cervix she highlighted a grey oval shaped tumour sitting inside my cervix mm 13x 11x 22. I am no longer in denial after seeing this.

She also found a small solid lump in the internal iliac lymph node mm 10x5x10. I am wondering what the implications of this little lump in the lymph node are....does anybody know?

I'm really struggling with all the waiting. I will get a phone call at some point telling me the next step, but not sure when.

Just wanted to reach out and let you know where I'm at. Oscillating between despair and optimism. 

Lulabell

• Hi  yes, I remember you! 

Thank you explaining more about the scan you had, but I’m sorry to see it has picked up a tumour-I remember previously you had mentioned squamous cells, but not a tumour. I don’t think I’ve ever looked at my own scan images, so that must have been quite strange for you. 

Do you have any more scans to get? I just wondered how they would further investigate what has been seen on the lymph node to determine what it is? If it is cancer, it will affect the staging.

The waiting does seem endless, and it’s just a horrible time for you especially not knowing when you will hear something further. I’m sure we will all feel your anxiety with this, but try not to fall too far into despair before you have more information. Sending you a big virtual hug.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply. I'm still waiting for more info. Is the little solid lump in the lymph node bound to be cancer do you think? It's in the internal iliac lymph node. I wonder if I'll need more tests on that or if it will be taken out and examined after the hysterectomy. I know I will be having this op as having pre op consultations on Friday morning with the cardiologist / anaesthetist, but I don't know when the operation will be yet.

Finding the waiting excruciating, I'm a fairly impatient person at the best of times so this is hard. Got some work commitments coming up, so will try to focus fully on those.

Thanks again for your reply,

I appreciate it

• Hi 

You are having a hysterectomy? This is only done for early stage cervical cancer, and would not be done if there were cancer in any lymphnode as that would stage the cancer at stage 3 and this would rule out a hysterectomy. What stage is your cancer? I don’t know what the lump might be in the lymphnode, but you need to know what stage your cancer is before proceeding with a hysterectomy. There are internationally recognised guidelines for the treatment of cervical cancer.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah,

I think my confusion is showing in these messages. Sorry about that. From the first appointment they have talked about hysterectomy and I am having these pre op consultations on Friday, so I just assumed. 

I don't know what stage my cancer is yet, or if the lymph node thing is significant. I'm waiting for a call to find out everything.

As I said, I am pretty impatient and jumping to conclusions before I have all the info perhaps.

Yes, also in Italy they definitely follow the international guidelines, so I'm sure all will become clear.

Apologies again,

Lulabell

• Hi Lulabell

Please don’t apologise! There’s a lot to take in at the start. My doctor also said I would be having a hysterectomy, but when I was staged at 2b after my scans that was immediately off the table. 

The FIGO guidelines for treatment are the standard worldwide, so the treatment will depend on which stage is determined from your scans and tests. They will need to know what the lymphnode is before doing any surgery rather than going straight to a radical hysterectomy and then taking out a lymphnode and examining it after surgery.

If there is cancer in a lymphnode, surgery will not be an option because of the risk of spread, so the treatment would be chemo and radiotherapy. I hope you’ll get answers this week on staging and a treatment plan and that things are made clear for you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum