Hysterectomy - no children

• 2 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi all, 

Just wanted to reach out to anybody that has been through a similar situation to myself… 

I was diagnosed with 1b1 then downgraded to 1a1 adenocarcinoma of cervix nearly a year ago.

i have had several procedures; LLETZ, cone biopsy and hysteroscopy. they said my last LLETZ that the margins were clear. 

i have now been left with the decision of conservative management (smear every 6 months-year) or a hysterectomy. I am single, 36 with no children and they are referring me to a gynae counsellor to discuss what a hysterectomy would mean for me. 
i did plan for children but i am now thinking my life currently is more important at the moment and the anxiety will get to me with the worry if the cancer has returned. 

I am worried about the ‘watch and wait’ approach, as I never had symptoms prior to my diagnosis, the cancer was not picked up through smear it was only picked up when they did a biopsy. 
a hysterectomy is a tough decision as i do not have children but i feel this would cause me less anxiety. I worry every new symptom or pain will cause me anxiety. 

I know it is ultimately my decision but, any thoughts? 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m so sorry to read of your dilemma-I was post menopausal at diagnosis, so my situation was very different. It’s such a personal decision, but I hope that you’ll get some responses from anyone in a similar situation. Knowing what I know now, my decision would go a particular way, but that’s personal to me so I hope you’ll get some replies from others in the same situation.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello, 

I just wanted to respond and empaphise with what a difficult decision. 

I’m 33 and recently finished radical chemo radiation for cervical cancer. It was completely unexpected as my smears hadn’t picked anything up to be honest. On diagnosis I was told that I would be infertile after treatment and I have no children.

i didn’t have much of a choice obviously as needed the treatment but i did get sent to speak to a fertility doctor and they offered to freeze my eggs before treatments. 

it’s such a personal decision, but perhaps speak to your councillor about the freezing options if you did go for the hysterectomy option. But also not that you would probably need a surrogate and potential difficulties in that. 

whatever you decide it will be the right decision because you made it. Xx