Early diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Just sharing my thoughts here. My wife was diagnosed with cervical cancer some days ago, no staging yet. The team is still working on a treatment plan and staging I assume. The complication here is that she is 19 weeks pregnant and the team initially mentioned that chemo is safe at this stage of pregnancy. I am very worried as my wife says she definitely wants to keep the baby. 

Alot on my mind at this point. I need alot of advise on this.

• Hi  

I dont have the answers or advice you are probably looking for but didnt want to read and run. I'm so very sorry you both have found yourself in this situation. Waiting is the hardest part but not even the doctors will be able to give you the answers you need until staging is verified. But if they can do chemo for the stage it's at, and they advise it's safe for pregnancy then it will be safe. They wouldn't offer it if not. I am going to assume your wife is relatively young which will do well in her favour. I am currently going through chemo and radiotherapy and my body is handling it very well. I believe i had my cancer whilst i was pregnant with my 1 year old son but it unfortunately wasn't caught at the time.  really hope you are not waiting too long for results and they can put a plan in place for you both asap. Feel free to reach out at any stage. 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m so sorry for the situation you’ve found yourselves in, where your joy at pregnancy has got this diagnosis overshadowing things. It’s an incredibly difficult situation to be in, and I’m not sure that any of us are in a position to give advice unless we have been in this situation personally. 

Central to any decision making that you will have to do will be the staging of the cancer, and therefore which treatment is recommended, so it would be hard to second guess what that might involve.  It’s really difficult to be in the limbo of waiting for more information, but I think you are going to have to be guided by your wife’s medical team going forward. 

Both you and your wife are of course welcome to be with us in the group, and we will do our best to offer support to you. You may also want to ask the nurses any medical questions, as we as patients are only able to share our own experiences which can of course all be different. If you want to speak to the nurses, you can either call the support line (the number is in my signature) or you can ask any questions directly by following this link (just allow a couple of days for a reply) -

Ask A Nurse

I hope you’ll feel able to update us on what will happen next for you, and we will be here to help with support  if we can.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm