Chemo radiation

• 10 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Query on hair loss

• Hi Spirit Wolf welcome to the forum. Can you tell us a bit more about your query on hair loss and we can see if anyone can help with information for you?  

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

Typically it will depend on the chemo used as to how you might be affected or not by hair loss. So if you’d like to let us know which chemo you will be having for your cervical cancer we’ll be to give you some advice. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi - I did mean to write more but I could not get message to send.  I was wondering if I would lose my hair or is the cold cap offered to all patients or just certain ones.  So new to this and find it scary.  I’m not vane just don’t want to look poorly as well as feel poorly 

• Hi  

Having chemo radiation together normally means you receive a chemo drug called Cisplatin, and that doesn’t usually make you lose your hair. That was why I asked which chemo you were going to have. Other chemo drugs used for cervical cancer can make you lose your hair. 

Would you like to share a little about yourself in the group so that other members might be able to help you more easily? If you can tell us a little about the stage of your cancer and your treatment, other ladies will be able to identify and help. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• My cervical cancer was at first thought to be 1a but following an MRI scan it was upped to 2b as the cancer has spread to the tissue outside the cervix.  I am having PET scan on Monday but have been told surgery isn’t an option it will be chemo radiation.  Also concerned if the PET scan will show anything more - the MRI confirmed lymph nodes not affected in pelvic area 

• Thank you for explaining. I was also stage 2b, and had chemoradiation and many of the other ladies in the group have also gone through this treatment.

If your stage remains at 2b after the petscan, it is most likely you will be having Cisplatin chemotherapy. This is chemo at a low dose designed to enhance the effectiveness of the radiotherapy, so doesn’t cause hair loss.

It’s always an anxious time waiting for a petscan and results -I didn’t have a petscan at my first diagnosis only the mri and Ct scan, but I hope there are no surprises with your scan and you can soon get started with treatment. 

Please feel free to ask any questions in the group-a lot of us have been through the treatment and come out the other side so we’ll be happy to share our experiences.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah

Thank you for your response, I have read your journey and I must say that you are truly an inspiration.  Hopefully I don’t have any nasty surprises after tomorrows PET scan.

I will you keep you all updated.  So nice to have your support 

Jen xx

• I was told surgery was not on the table too.  My lymph nodes are swollen, vaginal wall, and doctor is sure on cervix.  All this per MRI.  I have PET scan this Thursday.  No stage yet until PET.  Breast cancer 3 1/2 years ago.  Trying to stay focused.  I've had 3 laser ablation in the past year.  Prior to that leep/cone and also cervical freeze.  

• How do the doctors decide stages.  Cervical, vaginal wall, lymph nodes swollen.  

• Hi  

The stage will be based on a number of factors-size of the tumour, location and whether or not the lymphnodes are involved. So they need scan results which will measure the tumour and show precisely where it is and whether or not it has spread anywhere-either locally close within the pelvis or somewhere further away. They also need to know about the lymphnodes, as lymphnode involvement will mean that the stage is higher. 

It’s impossible to second guess what a stage may be. I was stage 2b, which was classed as locally advanced as there was some spread to the parametrium and to the vaginal wall. My tumour measured 3.7cm and I did not have lymphnode involvement. 

I hope you’ll find out all the information you need soon to be able to get started on your treatment plan.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum