Looking to hear about people’s experiences of metastatic breast cancer and associated treatments

• 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi there, pleased to meet you all. I’m reaching out as I’d be interested to hear about other people’s experiences with similar situations to mine. I had breast cancer 22 years ago. I had chemotherapy and a mastectomy and was given the all clear. Unfortunately, after a lot of tests, scans and waiting I’ve recently been diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in my bones. It’s all happened very quickly, only 3 months ago I was walking 6 miles a day and now I struggle to get out of a chair. I’m currently taking letrozole and I’m about to have my second denosumab injection for bone strengthening. My back has become very curved, very quickly and whilst the pain is thankfully now under control with oxycodone, the consultants don’t give much away about what the future might hold. I’ve had some very negative opinions from GP’s and general hospital staff. I’m struggling at the moment with the loss of my independence as I can’t do much for myself and I’m also really struggling with breathlessness. My breathing was particularly bad when I had a viral infection which has now cleared thankfully. But I also have some fluid on the lungs, low haemoglobin, fractured ribs (from the cancer), curved back which I think are probably all contributing to the breathlessness. It makes me very anxious and I feel like my worries about breathing are really affecting me mentally and holding me back from trying to be active. I know I won’t be cured but I wonder how far the treatment will go and what level of recovery I can hope to achieve. Thank you everyone and I wish you all the best on your journeys. Cancer is a shit!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Latchbriok,

Thankyou for your message and advice.  I Hope you are very well.

was very much hoping to receive a few replies so appreciate your input.  

Up until now I have been taking letrozole daily and have had 2 bone strengthening injections - one a month ago and more recently 2 days ago.  I am due to have another in 4 weeks and will be taking another chemotherapy tablet which I’ve been told should help the letrozole work more effectively.  I will put this on my profile as you suggest. 

many thanks