Newbie - secondary bc liver and bone mets in spine with 9 Yr old son

• 2 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi

i was diagnosed a week ago and have already had first round of weekly Paxlitaxel and some radiotherapy to ease my back pain. All rather a whirlwind.
Anyone got any dietary tips - my GP mentioned a low sugar/Keto diet - does anyone follow this?

Also any advice on how and what to tell a 9 year old boy about living with cancer (can’t think about the inevitable and what that will do to him).  Is it best to carry on as normal and just explain lots of treatments and appointment as we go along? I didn’t have chemo first time round but did have reconstruction so he does remember that process and that I look a bit different when undressed and had surgeries/recovery time. This time it’s quite different though. 

Thanks 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read about your recent diagnosis and can understand why you might feel that changing your diet might help. I haven't been on a low sugar/Keto diet but thought you might find this information from Macmillan on food myths and cancer and making changes to your diet helpful in deciding what to do.

Again I haven't been in the position of having to tell a 9 year old boy about my cancer diagnosis but thought you might find this information from Macmillan on talking to children and teenagers helpful in preparing what to say.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Our local Macmillan and other cancer charities offer counselling for children, and the local hospice ( which is mostly about living well with cancer and supporting people). 

I have heard of various dietary approaches. A good diet from basic ingredients avoiding ultra processed foods, too much sugar or saturated fat is general advice for health. 

I found cold gloves and socks limited the nerve damage from paclitaxel. If you Google it, there’s evidence for benefit from vitamin D3K2 supplements to help prevent neuropathy too. A lot of oncologists prescribe vit D anyway. But check with your team for advice on this.

thinking of you and your son in your whirlwind.