Secondary Breast cancer

• 11 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi I have just been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer out of the blue almost 10 years after my first breast cancer. It’s in liver pelvis and spine. I see the oncologist on Thursday has been the longest week of my life   The wait. I’m hoping for an intensive treatment plan and remaining as positive as I can. I’m not ready to die at 53! Anyone else with similar? Best wishes to you all xx

• Hi Mvl

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer..

Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hello, I was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002 and it returned in my liver and lungs in 2019! Started 12 weeks of chemo which unfortunately I didn’t respond to well. Then went onto hormone treatment which really suited me with no side effects. But after 3 yrs my liver markers went up and a new met on liver. Been on oral chemo for 3 months but that’s not working so I go back into intravenous chemo on Thursday! Hope you get on the right track quickly take care stay positive Karen xx

• Hi Karen, thank you so much for replying to me it makes such a difference to be able to connect with someone in the same situation. I really am keeping everything crossed for a treatment plan that starts quickly. It’s so frightening having to wait and the unknowns ahead. The hormone treatment sounds like a real positive for you but I am so sorry you are having to go back to chemo this week. I will keep positive thoughts going for you too and please let me know how it is all going. Thanks for your good wishes and please keep in touch. Marie xx

• I must be honest Marie that waiting for results is absolutely the worst! I have been told I shouldn’t lose my hair but it may thin out, I will keep in touch as I really find this forum helpful take care Karen xx

• Hi Mvl

I am so sorry to read of your diagnoses, I found out my cancer had returned in July in my lungs, spine & pelvis, I was devastated after being cancer free for 23years it was such a shock. I found the waiting for tests/results and appointments so very difficult, every day felt like a lifetime. I did find it helpful reading through other posts and knowing I wasn't alone. I am on hormone treatment of Letrozole, Ribociclib and a bone strengthening injection called Denosumab and nearly at the end of the 2nd cycle so still early days. I felt a little bit more positive about the future once I had seen my oncologist and a treatment plan was in place to start soon after so I do hope that will be the case for you.

Good luck for your appointment on Thursday. xx

• Hello I was on Letrozole for 7 yrs and I’ve been on Denosumba since 2019 but didn’t have it during lockdown for some reason. I’m staying on it for the foreseeable. My lungs don’t seem to worry my oncologist it’s mainly the liver. Today I’ve felt the best I’ve been in ages. Take care stay positive and I’m sure you’ll be fine Karen xx

• Hi thank you so much for replying too, it really is so reassuring to know that there are others like me out there, although I wish none of us were having to go through this. It’s so good to know that they seem to progress forwards with the treatment plans, part of my dread has been them saying sorry we can’t do anything but the more I read and understand it seems like they definitely try.  Will let you know the outcome of the appointment on Thursday and what the plans are. In the meantime I have everything crossed for you too and please let me know what is happening going forwards. Best wishes Marie xx

• Thanks Marie yes of course I will and yes please keep me updated on yourself too love Karen xx

• Hi

Im 53 too.

I had breast cancer at 35, got rid and have had clear mammograms since. This year I developed a cough that I couldn’t shift and in September I was told this is cancer left over from the breast which has gone to my lungs. No cancer in my breast, just returned in the lung. Such a shock.

currently taking Palbociclib and letrozole. 

Let me tell you, the waiting is the worst part of all this. Once you know the info, and you have a treatment plan you can get your head around it. 

Stay positive, it’s not your first rodeo, you got this!

big hug xx

• Hi thank you so much for getting in touch it really means a lot to me.

I did start chemo last week just 2 weeks after diagnosis so very grateful to my oncologist for pushing so hard for this. I have 12 weeks of it and waiting for a liver biopsy now too. Am having some pain the last 2 days but will more than tolerate this for the job to be done. All systems go with appointments this week so keeping that positivity going as best as is possible.

please let me know how you are all going on this chat group, 

sending love to you all

marie. X