Wife diagnosed with secondary breast cancer, our story so far

• 15 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi there beautiful people,

My amazing wife was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer back in May, this was discovered after attending a 5 year check up with the cancer team. She battled stage 2 HER+ with lymph node involvement almost 5 years to the date. At the 5 year appointment she mentioned a pain in her shoulder they recommend that it be checked over to rule anything suspicious out.

After receiving a PET scan the results came back and it wasn’t good news, they said you have cancer in your shoulder, liver and lymph nodes which are all incurable, after many scans, tests and biopsies we attended another appointment where they said it had also progressed to her lung but all of the areas were the same type of cancer as her initial breast cancer HER+ so could be treated with one set of drugs.

She started with an oral chemo tablet daily for 3 weeks then a week off, hormone injection every 4 weeks and bone strengthening injection every 4 weeks. She has been coping very well and looks extremely well.

Anyway she has had her first CT scan 3 weeks ago and we attended to get the results yesterday only to be told that the initial drugs are not working and everything has progressed, the next step is chemo therapy.

She has been the strongest and most positive person I have ever known through all of this where I have been so scared, yesterday’s appointment has really knocked her as we were hoping the first line treatment would have worked for a period we are now both really struggling and thinking the worst.

I am not really sure why I am even writing this I guess I’m looking for a little bit of hope out there from this awful situation.

I know everyone reading these posts must be on their own  journey I hope and pray for positive outcomes for everyone.

xx

• Thanks mate, and likewise, I hope you get some progress on Monday and things move forward quickly. It is absolutely the waiting that is maddening!

Speak soon,

Al

• Cheers and hope tomorrow goes well Thumbsup

• So sorry to hear about your wife. 

Sadly I lost my mum last month, she had the same cancer. She was on the tablets, and was told she would have to go on the drip and she was okay on the first 4 and then the last 2 were a real struggle. She was in and out of hospital throughout this period, and was never told that she was nearing the end of her life. If she would have known she wouldn't have endured the last 2 treatments, this time was taken away from her because we wasn't aware. Please push for scans so you are aware, even if the scans aren't due for another couple of months, as I wish I did this as we was completely unaware that she was as unwell as she was.

I really hope your wife's story is different to my mums. Sending you so much hope and love.

• Hi Kateeee,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out, I am really sorry to hear your news I don’t know what to say other than my thoughts are with you and your family.

I am really scared to ask the doctors / hospital too many questions about progression, outlook etc, most appointments so far have been absolutely terrible news.. I don’t know what’s best knowing or not knowing at the moment.

This whole year has been the worst for us. My wife starts chemo on Tuesday which is worrying but it’s just the next step and hopefully it has the desired effect.

Once again I am really sorry to hear about your mum I can’t imagine how your feeling :-( 

Warm regards 

MikeyC

• Hi Al,

So sorry to hear about your wife's situation. It is so hard to get through I know and it's even harder when  it's showing on the skin and you have to see it every day.

I also have cancer spreading through my skin. It turned up as a rash on my mastectomy site and I thought it was the drugs but turns out it's cancer. I am on Capecitabine at the moment which is helping internally but not helping the cancer on the skin.  just wondered what oral chemo your wife was on and which intravenous ones she has now tried?

I really hope they find something that works for her. Take care both of you x