Spread to Bones Symptom help

• 9 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum but I have had breast cancer 6 years from diagnosis - it seems I had the full works with Mastectomy, Chemo, Radio x 2 reconstructions etc my tumour was 9 cm long and had travelled into the first few lymph nodes - so far so good! However I was wondering can anyone tell me what their personal symptoms were if you have been unlucky enough to have secondary cancer in the bones. I have been experiencing some problems with my shoulder but do not want to bother doctors before I find out it isn't just aches and pains (it is the opposite shoulder to my cancer side). I have had discomfort on and off for a few months. I get a dull ache and only a sharp pain when I move in certain directions. Anyone who could share their experiences would be very much appreciated. x

• Hi There 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months ago Ibiza’s some tests and they advised I also have secondary bone cancer it’s all been a huge shock more the secondary cancer as it can’t be aired however after reading and listening To podcasts there is a lot they can do obviously I would not wish this on anyone but I’d say to you go and get it checked it is clearly causing you concern and if it’s nothing then at least you can put your mind to rest go and get it looked at I wish you well good luck Ok hand

• Many thanks and for the heads up on podcasts I know you are right it has been playing on my mind I guess there is a base fear of what if thanks for taking time to reply I have never used a forum for anything but it is lovely to know there are kind people out there! I wish you the best with your continued treatment and will let you know of any outcomes.Fingers crossed  

• Hey! Just popping in…

I was diagnosed with primary bc , high risk in 2018. I subsequently had really issues with my shoulder on the same side, and freaking out according, I met with consultant and had mri. All okay, just getting old! I also had a steroid injection which helped. Months later I had another issue with my arm and was referred to spinal consultant! Another mri and all okay! So stressful! 

Needless to say, after months of on and off pain and issues….it was just wear and tear,…nothing to do with bc. 
    We worry, endlessly, so far I have been lucky, but every ache and pain leads us to think the worst. I know the chance of secondaries is never far from my mind. After months of tests, scans etc…still okay…thankfully. 

Sometimes you aren’t sure you want the scan….

GGx
  • It’s so good to hear your positive news I know what you mean with regards to eve et boson you think is there something going on (such a nightmare ) I have to laugh at myself I am having a few scans Thumbsup a few weeks to see if the chemotherapy is working and it’s is causing anxiety I just keep saying the chemotherapy is healing me and try and put a positive mantra in there or I’d go mad … so glad yoThumbsup feels where only fears and that your health is good take care and thanks for sharing x Thumbsup

• Thanks for your reply I agree it is about trying to distil anxiousness from reality, the NHS is under such pressure you don't want to be the person that takes the ability to scan someone who really needs it. So I will have a chat with my GP and see if any of the current issues are something to actually be concerned about congratulations on your clear continued clear bill of health x

• My wife's experience was severe pain that didn't go away, not even for a bit. If it comes and goes I wouldn't be too concerned, but I'd still want it checked out just in case.

• Thanks I agree there were a couple of other things I have lost weight through a lack of appetite which didn't help my concerns. Just been to the doctors a full set of bloods, xray and a referral back Fingers crossedto the breast clinic last night was the final decision maker as I was woken yet again with the pain. I will keep you up to date. Thanks so much for even taking the time to reply. Fingers crossed Fingers crossed 

• Don’t wait. You are not bothering your doctor. My symptoms were ache in my hip and pelvis. X ray showed secondaries. But 10 months on I am on immunotherapy and feeling really well. Think if it as a chronic disease which can be managed. DONT WAIT. If it is cancer the sooner you start treatment the better. If it isn’t then you can relax. 

• I had breast cancer in 2015. Lumpectomy, chemo, radiotherapy. I had infected Lymph nodes and cancer was grade two invasive. Went on Letrozole for five years. Had aches and pains as side effects plus arthritis so I ignored pains. Fast forward to 2020. Annual mammogram all clear but covid meant a phone call rather than face to face. They asked about pain. We started walking in lockdown and I got pain rather than get fitter.  Dull pain 24/7. Woke me during night when I wasnt even moving.  Was limping. Pain in lower back, Hips, rib near surgery site,.  It changed and site seemed to move  daily whereas arthritis was located in a single point. Alarm bells rang so sent for bone scan. Secondary bc spread to bones. Stage four incurable but treatable.  Now on tablets and injections to fight disease and strengthen bones. I get tired and have no stamina (I was a 68 person who danced, walked and did gym) but treatment is manageable. I had anxiety on diagnosis because covid locked me down when I had so many things planned for retirement. But now I accept I am a different person but I am still planning my great escapes once Covud allows me to travel.  The key I think was that pain was dull, constant, moved around and was 24/7.  Speak to breast care nurse and ask if bone scan is an option to put your mind at rest. Good luck. 

LaneyD