Starting Chemo

• 8 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I have PET scan today and start chemo tomorrow which I am very apprehensive about. I had an hour long call from the chemo nurse yesterday giving me all the advice around side effects which has left me very scared about what to expect going forward.
At the moment I have breast cancer with spread to auxiliary nodes and both lungs I am just hoping nothing more is found after the PET scan. Any advice or positivity would be great. TIA

• Hi there 

I was also diagnosed with breast cancer around 7 weeks ago within two weeks I was informed I also had secondary bone cancer I started chemotherapy 5 weeks ago and like you was very anxious and overwhelmed with the side effects and I have been surprised that I have managed to not experience some of the what I would say are server side effects all I have had is dry mouth and very dry skin my mouth is also very dry of a night also my appetite has completely changed changed but I am ensuring I eat little and often … I get up everyday despite not wanting to and go for my daily walk as this really helps with mental health and helps me to feel alive … it’s a very overwhelming time but getting up daily and not allowing this diagnosis to define who I am I wish you all the best good luck x 

• Hi and thank you so much for responding and in such a reassuring way, you have really made me feel more positive about tomorrow, I am really hoping I have a similar experience, like you I don’t want my life to be all out about my diagnosis, wishing you all the best xx

• Hi

i didn't know this sub-forum existed (I am on the breast cancer and TNBC forum) and just wanted to pop up and say hello. I started chemo last week - i'm on oral chemo (capecitabine) and so far so good in terms of side effects. Mentally i'm still all over the place though.

which chemo are you and how did you find your first session? Hopefully you will manage the side effects. When will you get the results of your PET scan?

My advice would be take each day at a time. There will be good days and bad days but try to find something each day to make you laugh. Easier sad then done! Yesterday wasn't great for me and then i had even more of a wobble because my oncologist's secretary called me to arrange an appointment which sent me plummeting because this week I've had a CT scan and an ECG and i didn't know which one she wanted to talk to me about it and i had decided i didn't want to talk to her so i was going to ignore her call. It was awful. But then in the evening I watched Taskmaster and it made me laugh because it was so silly and i thought - look at you, you were in tears a couple of hours ago and so fearful and you have found something to laugh at. Ultimately we need to distract ourselves. 

Good luck xx

• Hi, I am on Docetaxel with Trastuzumab and Pertuzumab 3 weekly for another 5 sessions then an injection of Letrozole every 3 weeks for life. My oncologist says the treatment will be the same no matter what the PET scan shows I am due to see him in the 14th like you I really don’t want to know any sooner, I try to live in the moment but not been sleeping the last few night because of the steroids none today so hopefully I will sleep tonight Pray tone1 taking the best out of each day as you say.

Thanks so much for responding,

Take care xxx

• Hi

How are you both doing with chemo?

I still have an absence of side effects which i cant take as a good sign (talk about glass half empty!). Struggling today with negative thoughts of my outcome. I havent found anything to make me laugh yet today. Worried

The oncologist is calling me tomorrow to - not really sure what for. Her secretary said that I seemed keen for reassurance and she will also discuss last week's CT scan with me. tomorow is my birthday  and I dont want any more bad news from the oncologist. 

I hope that you have both had good days today. it was nice to have sunshine after the stormy weather.

xx

• Hi there 

I get them moments where my head is very negative but it does pass waiting  for news and it being your birthday is most likely having a massive impact on your thoughts I am not sure how long you have been diagnosed I have been diagnosed about 8 weeks ago now so really still new it’s hard to get your head around I believe it’s going to take time and after the chemotherapy I should know more which will help as wait to g and not knowing is the hard part for me I want to know it all now lol which is not going to happen so I have to say get on with life today and make it the best you can  I wish you a happy birthday and hope that you manage to have a laugh even if it’s only a smile x 

I also hope the call from you Oncoligist brings some relief x 

• Hi

i was diagnosed 5th October so coming up for 8 weeks also. Before i was diagnosed i thought it was my thyroid and read how thyroid cancer was a 'good' cancer to have and had fully prepared myself to deal with a 'good' cancer.

I had breast cancer 13 years ago and honestly breast cancer recurring was so far from my mind - it was such a shock. 

Thank you for the birthday wishes. I have a ten year old son and i'm going to keep him off school tomorrow because i think as a family we need to go out and have a nice lunch somewhere.

Have a good evening xx

• Hi,

This weekend has been tough with the side effects and daunting to think this is the first of 6 treatments, but the alternative is not an option so my focus has to be what is happening day to day and not thinking too far ahead it is the only way I can cope just now. I will hear about the PET scan results on the 14th Dec which will be soon enough. I eventually had a better day than yesterday when I summoned the energy to get up from my bed something that is totally not me. I hope you have lovely birthday with you son fhgirl and Lightlove you have a positive week ahead.

Take care xx