Hi, I'm new here

• 4 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi,

Newly diagnosed following mammogram/biopsy grade 2 bilateral breast cancer in breast tissue and lymph node. My thoughts ok, so this isnt good but I will get through this! MRI and CT scans show its already spread to Sternun, stage 4 non curable! Bone scan booked and anxiously and eagerly awaitng this and getting results and can move on to can see Onoclogist and get treatment plan.

Feeling devastated, overwhelmed, thoughts racing and just can not switch them off. But following a lovely and reassuring call from a lady from Maggies today who speclises in secondary cancer I'm off to see her and benefits advisor tomorrow. I'm hopeful that as from tommorrow afternoon I will get my positvity bsck and will see living with non-curable cancer can be done, I can live for good amount of years with this. I've only had one short phone call with Maggies, but that one short call has hugely helped me, I'm so thankful we have such amazing charities to support and lift us out of such a dark place.

S.x

• Sending love your way. You’ve got this - determination, hope and courage. And know you’re not alone, there’s a whole community of us who hold you in mind and care. Best wishes to you x

• Hi 

like you when I first discovered I had breast cancer I was like I can get through this after a few weeks of other scan I to was informed I have secondary bone cancer which is incurable I can’t tell you how overwhelmed this made me and for a few days I just cried however it’s been a few weeks now I have started chemotherapy and started to read and listen to others on the same situation it’s given me so much hope and I realise you can live with this for many years 

my whole diets changed in the last few weeks and I exercise  daily which is really helping me feel empowered.

It’s really nice to hear that speaking to someone today has helped you there are many podcast out there that are really inspiring and I would recommend you listen to some as people who are living with the same illness 

good luck x 

• Thank you Alexy,   I certainly do know I'm not alone.  It's strange how once you have a cancer diagnosis the tv/radio adverts just jump out at you! I have noticed them so much more and telling you how many people do get this awful disease.  They make me very sad.

I'm very much in the "stuffing has been knocked out if me" stage at present with only getting the secondary diagnosis 2 days ago. I have found things easier when talking about it, rather than just me thinking about it, but right now only a few people know its spread and family members dont know this part yet!  I know joining these forums is going to be really benefical so the determination, hope and courage I do feel will return in time once I know the fuller picture following bone scsn results and treatments. 

S.x

• Hi Lightlove,

Its only been a couple of days since I was told its spread to my sternum and one of the difficult thoughts (alongside all the others) , Is feeling its kinda my fault, could I have spotted the breast cancer earlier, have I done/missed something that could have meant The breast cancer would have been resolved and I wouldnt be now faced with non curable cancer etc etc...  but I have been told of someone who didnt even know she had breast cancer until she was disgnosed following hip bone pains!  And someone like yourself who is in the same situation clarifies its not my fault, this happens!!!!    

It's so new to me that its been overwhelming, going from a good outlook to be told its bone cancer, no surgery, non-curable, life shortening and treatment aim us about quality of life (sounds like pallative care to me).... you really think thats it,  and the outcome on the reliable cancer organisations websites doesnt paint a good picture at all.    The best thing that happened today is on the phone call with the lady from Maggies charity today she said was "You do NOT have bone cancer - you have breast cancer that had spread to your bones!   AND The two are completley different dieases, treated differently and there are good long term surival rates!  She has many clients who have been living with this 7/8 years and more living full healthy active lives.   In her experiance the doctors/surgeons never really explain this  secondary cancer the correct way.  

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me, like yourself I feel I am starting to discover I may have non-curable cancer, its something that can be managed so I can still live life with it.  I just need to get through the bones scans, get results and find out/start treatment. I'm so happy for you that part of managing the illness has started as even though the chemo itself I'm sure will be gruelling, its getting it on the right track and moving forwards I feel which I see as a positive move from from a dark place  All the best to you.  x